Chapter 58 - cigarette smoke

The cold evening air brushes against his fur, the far away chattering from the streets surrounding the ominous area filling his ears

The cold evening air brushes against his fur, the far away chattering from the streets surrounding the ominous area filling his ears. Though with how long he had spent training under Gouhin, the young wolf had learnt to ignore it.

Legoshi, dressed in his track suit, leisurely leans against the massive glass window of Gouhin's clinic, a carton of juice in his hands as his lips nip at the straw. His mind is elsewhere, stuck in the attempt to conduct a strategy to defeat Riz. His hand is stuffed into his pocket, his legs crossed over one another as his foot occasionally whips to the rhythm of a soundless melody.

"You need Allies, Legoshi! Without allies, you'll be crushed by the pressure!"

I can't afford to be crushed by some stupid pressure. I had an ally once, who gave me emotional support...but I don't know where he is right now...

His thoughts are brought to a halt by the sound of the window opening behind him, a smaller figure joining him on the platform with a pat on his shoulder. "How's it going, Wolfie?"

He merely nods, his eyes following every move of yours as you sit down beside him and let your own gaze sway over the streets of the black market. You look tired, though there haven't been as many bandages on your body as there had been a month ago.

It's been about a month since you had declared that you wouldn't react to his advances in the future, at least not the way he'd hope. Of course, he had been crushed by that confession but he couldn't hold it against you; you've got enough on your plate as it is, you shouldn't need to worry about him as well.

And yet here you are, still offering him support simply through your presence and friendship. If it meant that he could continue to have you in his life, he'd accept any boundary you would lay out for him.

"Where's the feline?"

"Val's got a job in another district," You answer nonchalantly as you steal his juice box, "She'll be gone for another week or so, at least that's what she told me. Till then, I'm apparently Gouhin's responsibility, like a hand-me-down grenade."

Quietly, he watches as you take a sip from the beverage, letting your eyes sway upwards to the sky. There are barely any stars visible due to the blinding lights of the city surrounding you. Handing the drink back to Legoshi, you stuff your hands into the pockets of your jacket, copying his pose without meaning to.

You just finished your therapy session with Gouhin, a habit you continued to uphold during the past few weeks. You're making a little progress when it comes to your mental health, though your body is still numb to a multitude of emotions and even sensations. When Valentina taught you how to use a combat knife two weeks ago, you accidentally cut the palm of your hand; you hadn't noticed the injury until Val pointed it out. Even the thought that Val is out there right now, most likely murdering people in cold blood for money, leaves you cold.