Chapter 71 - Crashing worlds

On the very same day, merely a couple of hours earlier, our favourite grey wolf is taking the all-too familiar route to the black market's doctor and security guard

On the very same day, merely a couple of hours earlier, our favourite grey wolf is taking the all-too familiar route to the black market's doctor and security guard. When he met the panda so many months ago, when their group had aimlessly wandered into the black market, he would've never thought that he'd one day work so closely with the black and white bear. But look at him now, a strong protégé under Gouhin and seemingly in total control of his carnivorous instincts.

And only two days before his big fight with Riz. A duel that might cost him his life.

I won't let it come to that. I made a promise to Y/n, she'd never forgive me if I'd break it. And if I died shortly after proposing to her, she might get so traumatized that she would never love again! I can't ruin her happiness!

Thinking about you instantly makes his heart ache in grief and longing. It's been so long since he had last smelled your scent or held you in his arms; it's unbearable for an animal like him. Grey wolves, much like any other wolf species, mate for life after all and he doesn't plan on losing you ever again. Unfortunately, the force of circumstance seems to constantly drive the two of you apart, so much so that he doesn't even know where you currently are. How can he call himself a good partner when he can't be by your side to protect you?

Letting his ears hang in shame, Legoshi rounds the corner into the dark alleyway leading to Gouhin's clinic, his tracksuit snuggly shielding his furred body from the cold air. The temperatures were falling with every passing day, the icy hands of winter trapping the entire town in its grasp. He lifts his head to the sky, his observant gaze catching sight of the bright, nearly yellow moon that is almost at its peak.

I wonder if Y/n likes the winter. It never came up in the conversation. Grey wolves are kind of made for living in cold environments...but I don't know how humans feel about the different seasons.

What if she has to hibernate, like a bear or a squirrel? Or what if she feels the urge to migrate to the south, where it's warmer? Does the fur on her head grow thicker in the winter?

Another part of him wonders if you'd perhaps need extra shelter during the cold season, to keep you warm. While he doesn't know much about human mating habits, he guesses that it's the job of the partner to build or find that shelter for their female companion and he'd be lying if he said he's not excited for that possibility.

Nonetheless, he has to find and bring you home first.

Wistfully exhaling, his breath coming out in visible puffs of air, he tears his gaze away from the moon and knocks onto Gouhin's door, quickly burying his hands in his pockets right after. His ears lazily flap against the freezing breeze as heavy footsteps sound from the other side, right before the door swings open and reveals the grim expression of the muscular panda. The signature bamboo cigarette hangs from his mouth, his obsidian orbs barely visible within the black circles of fur around his eyes.