Chapter 79 - a happy reunion

A yawn escapes you once late afternoon rolls around, the rain outside having subsided to a minor drizzle

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

A yawn escapes you once late afternoon rolls around, the rain outside having subsided to a minor drizzle. In certain spots, you could see the sun peak through the dense clouds and you smile, convinced that somewhere above the city, a rainbow has appeared.

You and Louis had talked the hours away, spending your time reminiscing in the memories of Cherryton Academy. The deer pestered you long enough until you told him all about what he has missed during his delinquent rebellion, mostly leaving out your own gloomy misfortunes. So you make sure that your stories revolve around Haru, Juno, Pina or the drama club, sometimes even funny moments during your training with Valentina. Of course, the stag notices your somber face when you openly say how sad you are that you didn't get to wish them a happy holiday, but he doesn't say anything. How could he? After all, that would pose the possibility of shattering your fragile soul even further.

To him, it's undeniable that you need this small piece of normality to keep yourself going.

But eventually, your little hang-out session has to come to an end and when a sympathetic Jiji appears at the door, you struggle to get back onto your crutches. You say goodbye to Louis, promising to visit him again in the near future, and let the nurse take you back to your own hospital room. You're about to open the door when the black cat stops you, suddenly taking a bottle of disinfectant from a nearby shelf.

"Here, let me see your hands, please." She demands and you do as told, furrowing your brows in puzzlement at the action.

"Did something happen?"

"Oh no, Miss, everything is alright." The feline reassures you, her smile beaming. "It's just that your roommate has a visitor with a fragile immune system, so we have to take every necessary precaution."

Nodding, your lips form an 'O' to show that you understand. At the moment, your mind is blank with who that visitor could be, your brain being too tired from the day's exhausting events. Jiji opens the door for you and eagerly, you hobble forward on your crutches.

The second your eyes land on the small canine sitting on Hayato's bed, it's all too clear to you why you had to disinfect your hands and your mind fills with memories. It's a child, probably no older than five.

It's Hana.

Her arm is connected to an IV and her fur is cut short, much shorter than Legoshi's was when he cut his. Still, it doesn't take away from the beautiful pattern on her body, although the colours are stale and sickly. Rich brown and black adorns her canine face that greatly resembles Hayato's, her ears big and round while adorable ember eyes stare back at you and study your appearance in the same way. White spots cover her arms and neck, creating a lovely pattern that is entirely unique.

She really looks like a mix between a Doberman and an African wild dog.

The small girl stares at you in surprise and amazement, a picture book in her hands as she's cuddling against Hayato.