Chapter 3: Stranger

It was your first night in Mark's house. It felt all very strange to be here. You didn't know the guy for one, you didn't know where anything was, etc. you could barely sleep. You had slept in the guest bedroom, not really wanting to sleep with a stranger.

When you woke up the next day, you had found your way to the kitchen to see him cooking breakfast. He still looked awful, and you were sure you did too. He tried to give you a smile, and you just kind of looked back.

"Uh... did you want to eat?" He asked. You only nodded your head, feeling awkward. Mark put down a plate in front of you and gently, slowly grabbed your hand. You pulled it away, looking up at him wide eyed. "Sorry, it's just, uh, a habit," he explained, "we would hold hands all the time..."

You felt kind of bad. Mark had been married to you and he missed being with you, but you didn't feel the same because you didn't remember. "So, do you have anything that might bring my memory back?" You asked. He was staring at your finger, nodding towards it. You looked down to see a ring. It was a very pretty ring. But it didn't help any. You didn't want to hurt him, but you might take it off later.

"How are you supposed to get my memory back anyways? Do you have pictures?" You looked back to him.

"Well, I do have some pictures but I plan really to take you back to our special places. Once you get to know me a little better that is."

"What is there to know?"

"Well," he held out his hand for you to shake it, "my name is Mark Fischbach. What's yours?"

This brought a little smile to your face. So to get you to remember he was going to start over? You reached your hand out and shook his, "I'm (f/n)(l/n)." He seemed to like the touch, because when you pulled your hand away, his eyes were full of disappointment.

"Are you going to tell me anything about you?" You wondered, because he was staring off into space as if he was thinking.

"Oh, yeah, sorry... well I'm 25, I was born on a military bass in Hawaii, I'm half Korean," he continued on with the basics of who he was. He told you he was a youtuber, that his dad has died, etc.

So after he told you everything, you felt obligated to tell him your story, even though he knew. So you told him. You and your twin brother had moved to LA to do something with your lives and you didn't know what yet. You told him your age, 23, which you had to be told since the last thing you had remembered was being 21. You told him everything.

He would nod along, but in his eyes you could tell he knew, and the fact that you had forgotten him had crushed his heart to pieces. You sighed, "I'm sorry I can't remember you, Mark," you really were because he looked like he really cared. "It's not your fault, (f/n), I was the driver..."

"Where were we exactly? When the wreck happened?"

"We were driving to the airport on New Years. We were in New York at time square to watch the ball drop with my friend Bob and a couple of others. We slid off the road because the pavement was covered in ice, and that's when we hit the tree and you hit the windshield," he said, looking down.

"How did I get back here in LA?"

"They flew you back along with me so that you could wake up and get home faster. You were unconscious for a long time," he looked back up at you.

Well that explains a lot of why you don't remember much. You realized you hadn't even touched your food and you began to eat. Eggs were one of your favorite breakfast foods. That must've been why he cooked them. They were actually pretty good too. You ate them hungrily. You hadn't really had much to eat in the past few days. "More?" He asked, and you accepted gratefully. Maybe he could be less of a stranger after all. He seemed pretty knowable.