Chapter 29: Irony

"Would you like to hold her?" You heard someone say. You opened your clenched eyes and saw her. Holly. Your beautiful baby girl. You instantly forgot about all the pain you were just in and nodded, holding your arms out. They had wrapped her in a pink blanket and washed her off a little. She was perfect. You had never felt so much affection toward one person (except Mark) in your entire life. This was your living, breathing child. You vowed to be the best mother you could.

Mark was staring in awe at the little girl you had in your arms. Tears were beginning to drop. You could tell that he was crying from overjoy. His eyes were like stars in that moment. They glistened in the hospital room's light and the tear drops were the drops of rain coming from the sky, which just so happened to be his eyes.

After a couple more minutes of looking at Holly and holding her, Mark took her in his arms and cradled her. She was a quiet baby from the start. She only let out small noises. Mark looked down at her with wonder. It was as if he had never seen a baby before and he was awed by the fact that there was now a smaller version of him and you that would be running around.

You smiled drowsily. You didn't want to fall asleep yet, but you could feel it coming over you. You vaguely remembered screaming earlier while Mark held your hand, telling you to breathe. He had been right with you through everything.

Thinking about everything, you drifted off.

***

All of a sudden, you were back home. You were holding Holly in you arms while sitting on the couch. Mark was recording in his room. You heard a knock on the door. When you answered it, you knew you had done the wrong thing. The man in black had come back. He pointed his pistol straight at Holly, "If you want your baby to live, you better let me do as I please. I'll make sure I get away this time," he said, a grin appearing on his face. You realized you had been screaming this whole time, but no sound had come out. You stayed still as the man made his way to the recording room. You heard a gunshot and a thud. Tears began to stream down your cheeks. Then his sack was full with Mark's recording stuff once again, as he walked out. He smiled at you. It was a cold smile. He walked towards you, slowly bet ever so quickly at the same time. His grin got bigger every step he took towards you. Before you knew it, he had snatched Holly away from you. You tried to move but you couldn't. You watched as that man left your house with your baby.

***

You woke up screaming and crying. Mark rushed to your side, "(f/n)! What's the matter? It's okay, I'm here," he put his hands on your face and rubbed your cheek with his thumb, trying to get you to calm down. He put his forehead against yours and looked into your eyes whispering, "It's okay, I'm here," over and over. You finally calmed down, but you were still shaken up.

"Holly? Is she okay?" You asked, eyes wide.

"Yeah, she's fine. They took her to the nursery. It was just a bad dream, okay?"

"He took her away. He took you and her away."

"Who did?"

"That man in black that tried to rob us. He tried to take you both away from me."

"(F/n), everything's okay. He's not going to hurt us again. It was just a bad dream. I didn't know you were still so badly shaken up about it... nothing is going to take Holly away."

"But..."

"It was just a dream. Okay?" He pulled up a chair to sit closer to you. He laid his head next to yours and intertwined your fingers together. Your breathing had calmed and you felt more safe than you had. You closed your eyes and rested your head against his. He squeezed your hand, trying to reassure you.