Chapter 34: Reality

You sat there, Mark hugging your waist tightly. You stared at the picture of Holly who was smiling up at you in a frozen pose. All you could hear was that little ringing noise in your ears. You felt the streams start trickling down your cheeks. You kept your gaze towards her beautiful face... tear drops began to dew on her. She was beautiful and it wasn't until now that you realized that your only child, your daughter, was gone...

It hadn't dawned on you before that that could've ever happened to you. You didn't understand. How could she just be gone like that? You remembered her wails. Her high pitched screams in the back of the car. The blood trickling from her mouth. But you also remembered her adorable laugh. The one she would always use when she looked at Mark as he made s funny face. And how could you forget that smile... the one she was using right now to mesmerize you into your memories.

You sniffled, trying not to sob. You began slowly going through the pictures one by one. You found the one you took at her one year birthday party. Her face was covered with cake and Mark was holding her, smiling.

The next one was of you and her looking at one another, grins on your faces.

Everything had smiles in them, and all you wanted to do now was frown and cry. You put the box of picture down, sliding them away from you. You lifted Mark's arms and pushed yourself into his chest. You sobbed into shirt as he held you close. He clenched onto your back and his tears were most likely staining your shirt, but you didn't care.

"Mark... I'm so sorry... I... no..." you mumbled through sobs. Your heart and mind both hurt. The pain was overbearing. You wrapped your arms around him tighter, your sobs becoming worse.

Mark just held you while rocking back and forth. Eventually you must've fallen asleep because the next thing you knew was darkness.