Chapter 35: Is She Happy?

You woke up, feeling warmth around you. You noticed that you were nuzzled up into Mark's chest. His arms were surrounding you. Your hand was placed slightly on his chest. You could feel his steady heartbeat. You moved your eyes towards his face. He was asleep, tears staining his face. You rubbed his cheek with your thumb, your eyes beginning to get watery again.

He slowly began to awaken. He saw you staring up at him and his eyes softened. He neared his face to yours, kissing your forehead gently. You looked into his eyes, those chocolate brown eyes, and you didn't know why, but it made you smile. You felt the tears running down your face. But when you looked into those, you saw bits and pieces of her still there. You wondered if that was true with yourself in his eyes. You closed your eyes and cried into his shirt. It wasn't a sob this time. It was quiet. Eventually, you were cried out, and you spoke.

"Mark... do you think she's happy? Do you think she wants us to be happy?"

"I can only hope so, (f/n). But I doubt she'd want us to sit around and mope about it..."

"Yeah... it's just hard to believe. She was here and... then she was gone..."

Mark held you close. You stayed in that position for what seemed like ever, but finally, you stood up and walked towards the kitchen. Mark eventually followed you. Both of you looked like messes, but you didn't care. You poured some cereal into a bowl for each of you, not really feeling up to cooking. You ate in silence.

You finished your bowl, then you looked down at the table, trying to remember something. You then began to smile, "Is that really how you proposed to me?"

"Uh... all the rambling? Yes actually."

"You're adorable, Mark. Y'know that?"

Mark slowly began to smile. He ruffled your hair and chuckled, "Nah, if anything, you're the adorable one here."

You glared at him for ruffling your hair, even though it was a mess. You didn't hold the glare long though, because the next thing you knew was you were both looking at one another and smiling.

For the next few months, you began slowly moving past the grieving stage. You and Mark tried to live your lives in harmony and do everything you could to make life happy. There was never a day that Holly didn't cross your mind though. It was still hard without her.