Chapter 20: Twinkle Twinkle

When you pulled away, you got the courage to open the box. You saw the stack of pictures that Mark had taken away from you a few weeks ago. You turned one over and saw a recent picture. You were holding... Holly, your child... your own child. She was in your arms, showing a small smile. Mark was beside you, looking at Holly and you. It looked like it was professionally done. It triggered something. You kept staring at it, at her. She had your smile and Mark's eyes. She had little dark curls. She was beautiful. Then a mass of memories came back to you.

(Memories are coming back now, so just keep in mind that everything in italics is a memory.)

(Brother's name or b/ n) wanted to go see the Hollywood sign. You had lived here for a couple months now in your apartment. (b/n) had an apartment right next to yours. You decided to tag along with him and his girlfriend. He drove the three of you up there. "(f/n), I'm glad you decided to come with us. I think it'll be a great view up there. I hope there's not too many tourists," he chuckled. "Yeah yeah, no need to thank me," you ruffled his hair from the back seat. "Hey, I worked forever to get it like this," he tried to smooth his hair back down, grunting. 

When you got there you climbed up there to hear talking. You saw about ten people up there. You sighed. Why couldn't have just been a couple of people? You leaned your arm on the railing, looking out over the city. You felt your brother put his hand on your shoulder, and you saw his other hand go around Carmen, his girlfriend. You weren't too close with her to be honest. (b/n) had met her at some bar and apparently they had just hit it off from the start. So that's their amazing story...

"This really is pretty," you heard Carmen say in her really annoying high pitched voice. You may sound mean, but you just didn't want anyone to hurt your twin brother. If someone did you'd probably... Better not finish that sentence... 

All of a sudden, you saw a vaguely familiar man. He had dark hair, some facial hair, and he was wearing a red plaid shirt. He looked over at you, your eyes locking for a second. You looked away as quick as it had happened. You felt like you had seen him before. But where?

You looked back over the city. The lights were just now beginning to come on and the sun was beginning to set. It really was beautiful. You loved this view already. You just wanted to stay up here forever. Your brother was walking with Carmen down the side of the letters. You were watching them when you felt someone poke your shoulder. You turned towards the direction in which you were poked. You saw the man again. He had a water bottle in his hand. He smiled at you, "Hi, uh, I'm Mark," he stuck out a hand. You hesitated, but took it, shaking it politely. "Nice to meet you, I'm (f/n)"

You hadn't really went out anywhere to meet anyone since you've been here. You pretty much stayed in your room and watched CaptainSparklez. So this was kind of awkward for you. Mark looked at you and chuckled a bit. You felt your face getting warm. Why was he laughing, "I'm sorry, but did I do something?" He shook his head, "No, It's just that I can see how awkward this is for you. You're a fish out of water. It's nice to see someone like that every once in a while," he looked at you with understanding and amusement, "I was like that too, trust me. All I did was play games the whole time. Well who am I kidding, I still do." You laughed a little bit. "Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one," you responded. 

He nodded a little, smiling. His eyes were a dark brown color, and they were somewhat squinted. You liked it. You also liked how his hair, how it swooped over to the side. Your eyes were locked for a couple of seconds. After a little bit more he asked, "What color are your eyes? In this light I can't tell. Or maybe it's because of the twinkle they give off." This made you smile and blush. "Uh, they are (eye color)," you told him, looking down. 

"I like that color. It goes well with the stars in your eyes," he smiled at you. You knew he wasn't exactly meaning anything by it, but it was a great way for him to get you to like you. He was doing a good job. He seemed pretty nice. You saw his eyes had the same twinkle in them. All of a sudden he began singing, "Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are." You began to laugh. 

"Well that was random," You said, laughing. He began laughing too, "Well you see, the stars are coming out, and are reflecting into your eyes and I thought it was ironic that stars are actually giant gaseous balls and yet there's a song about them being small. So I sang it," he gave you a huge grin. You giggled. "You're weird, Mark."

"I have a feeling you aren't that normal yourself," he joked, cocking his head to the side a little bit.