Chapter 11: 5th Coven

Chapter 11

Max woke up the next day and looked around for Edlyn. He couldn't find her! Max thought she tried to escape but it made no sense as he still had her alpha stone.

Max continued looking and after another 30 minutes, he finally saw Edlyn. She was in the vault! She was eating the meat inside the vault!

Max and an annoyed Edlyn, who wanted more meat, slowly made their way out of the stone mansion and were walking towards the next coven.

They spend the day taking down the 9th, 8th, 7th and 6th covens. All 4 alphas submitted and gave Max their alpha stone. Previously, Trius has managed to spread word about what has happened and thus most of the alphas readily gave him their stones. This made their lives much easier. Although, Edlyn was grumbling something about not killing enough vampires.

Max proceeded to the next coven. He heard that the 5th coven was different from the others. The 5th coven focused more on making special advances in "technology". When he heard this from the other coven alphas, Max was slightly shocked. He wasn't sure how technology worked in the Wildlands. Max just assumed that the 5th coven were just a bunch of cavemen who had managed to find fire. However, when he reached their coven, his jaws hit the floor.

Their coven was made of multiple buildings and was white in colour. They had white fluorescent like lights coming out of their glass windows! Unlike the other black stoned, windowless castles and mansions, this was really different. They looked much more modern.

Max and Edlyn walked towards their base. As they got closer to the coven, they saw a lone figure standing at the entrance. One looked and Max knew who it was. All the coven alpha's have described him as a weirdo, it was the 5th coven's alpha. He wore a white lab coat and had thick brown curly hair. Max could also see his round spectacles. The alpha before him gave off the biggest nerd vibe he has ever felt.

Max and Edlyn approached the alpha.

"Ah! Hello you must be Max! Oh and it's Edlyn! I am Zari by the way." the alpha introduced himself.

"Hello Zari! You want to surrender or you want me to rip your throat out?" Edlyn said with a smile.

Max nudged Edlyn to be quiet and walked towards Zari.

"Hello Zari! Nice to meet you. You already know why I am here?" Max said.

"Yes. I can give it to you. But I need your help. A favour actually." Zari said.

"Which is?" Max asked.

"If you can get the chance to take down the entity that rules this forest, I am willing to help you." Zari said calmly.

Max was surprised with what Zari asked. He was going to do that eventually but he was curious why.

"I understand what you are asking of me but why? What do you achieve from this?" Max asked.

"I have many data and observations I have made, follow me and I will show you." Zari said.

Max and Edlyn followed Zari and he showed around his base. It was a massive scientific lab. There were many vampires in lab coats. Many were drinking red liquid from a bottle. Edlyn tried to drink a cup of it thinking that it was blood.

"Ughh! What is this? This is not blood!?" Edlyn said with annoyance.

"It's not. I have managed to synthesize an artificial blood like substance. It doesn't taste like it but it has the same nutrition as blood." Zari said calmly with a smile. He seems to enjoy watching Edlyn getting annoyed by this.

"So what is it that you found?" Max asked impatiently.

"Oh! Haha! We found a few things. I am sure you know that we can't go out of the forest because we are cursed, well that is because of this entity. It is actually his territory. We found this strange substance inside us and when we try to leave the forest, the entity's territory, this substance reacts violently. It squirms around and attacks our body's internal organs which leads to our death." Zari said.