Chapter 33: Basilisk Jar

Chapter 33

Max had long left the school and had proceeded to travel the Wildlands. He had almost an entire week to practice with his [Orb of War]. He had immediately made his way to the Wasteland's region. He walked through the dark purplish sand, looking for creatures to hunt. For some reason, he felt like he was being watched by something...

He walked around and eventually found the old ruins that he had previously rested at. The shadow lion carcasses that he had left behind had long been scavenged and eaten by various creatures of the Wasteland.

Max had heard a rumour whereby a strange creature lurks in the Wasteland region and that they only come out at night. Max did not want to find out as it was common knowledge that many horrors tend to wake up at night in the Wildlands. One had to be at least a proficient B-Rank to safely travel in the Wildlands at night.

He was frustrated. There weren't any creatures that could give him significant amounts of experience. Most of them only gave him around 100 to 2,000 points. Max was about to take a break from looking for creatures when he had a bright idea. He immediately brought out [Dusk Djinn] and [Mist Knight].

"You guys will be looking for creatures who are as strong as you. Find them, but don't kill them. Capture them and bring them to me." Max said as he released both his Beast Spirits to find creatures for him.

"It's a shame these guys can't give me experience when they kill something..." Max said.

Max then proceeded to wander around the Wastelands looking for any mysterious places. Wastelands was one of the least explored places in the Wildlands. The were a significantly higher monster to land ratio compared to other places and thus many lower leveled evolvers tend to stay away from this place.

He had heard that there were many caves in the Wastelands but many did not want to go in there as that's where the nocturnal monsters tend to lay dormant. Max walked around, slowly looking through various caves. He was going to explore one.

Max stood before a cave entrance and activated his Ki body. He was engulfed in a bright purple flame, which instantly lit up the cave entrance. Slowly, Max proceeded to explore the cave entrance. The floor was slightly muddy while the cave walls were dull and extremely dark in colour.

Max accidentally placed his hands against the wall and almost immediately vomited. Just as he placed his hand against the wall. The dark purplish sand wall broke apart and a dark red liquid seeped out of the crack. This liquid was similar to slime and was extremely viscous. It looked disgusting.

Max watched as the red goo dripped out of the crack and slowly slid down the cave walls to the floor. He immediately peeled his eyes away from the sight and slowly proceeded to walk forwards.

"This place is so disgusting, just what was that red liquid?" Max wondered.

He walked towards the dimly lit cave and soon reached an opening. It was completely dark and to Max's horror, he could see the silhouette of a sleeping creature after slowly approaching the entrance of the cave opening.

It looked like a giant snake with silvery green scales. Just what exactly is that?

As he was thinking, another sound was heard. It was a strange sound of an insect scuttling. Max quickly hid behind a massive boulder and watched from behind it. It was a colossal scorpion! It hissed and the snake and almost immediately, it opened its eyes in fury.

The snake hissed back at the scorpion and then coiled. The scorpion raised it's stinger and snapped it's claws. The snake did not care and almost immediately sprung. It opened its mouth and had bitten the scorpion's abdomen. Meanwhile, the scorpion had stung the snake's head and was being bit in half. Max had to control his stomach when he saw what happened next.