Chapter 7: Shade Archdemon

Chapter 7

Max sat on the rock, motionless, as he observed the giant ball of Ki floating in the air. He waited for the creature to appear. Max laid on his back on the rock, and soon he saw it. A small flicker of darkness could be seen moving.

Max was planning on making a Shade Demon as his spirit beast. The Shade Demon is mostly made out of Ki, therefore it seemed like the good candidate for a beast spirit that will dwell in one of his Ki cores. However, he wasn't going to settle for any kind of Shade Demon. He was going to use the Ki core of at least a Shade Archdemon.

There was a legend among the various hunters, evolvers and adventurers. When an evolver kills a sufficient amount of Shadow Demons, it will alert the Shade Archdemon, which is a Shade Demon who has managed to evolve. It's basically a much more stronger and intelligent version of a normal Shade Demon.

A Shade Archdemon was said to be at least a B-rank. Max was hoping to kill it or to trap it. There was a story on the Hunters Government forums that if enough Shade Archdemons were killed, an evolved Shade Archdemon would come for you instead. Some users dubbed it the "Darkness Monster" or "Shade Demonlord" but no one was sure if something like that even existed. Many assumed that it was a forum myth.

Max watched as a few normal Shade Demons approached the ball of Ki he made from the [Reserve Ki Bank]. Max waited for a moment before using his [Freeze Domain] ability.

Since Shade Demons were 80% Ki, Max had a theory that using [Lesser Sealing Eye] or [Freeze Domain] might seem effective against it. Max smirked as he saw that his theory turned out to be true. The Shade Demons couldn't move as Max has frozen all the Ki in the surroundings. But Max found this odd as the skill's description said that it only affects Ki outside the body.

"Unless... the demon has shrouded it's real body with ki!" Max said with realisation.

Max decided to test his theory out by using [Lesser Sealing Eye] on one of the demons. He saw the black outer body fade away revealing a thin creature with sharp teeth and claws. Max smirked and got down the huge rock and killed all the demons before waiting for more.

[Ding! Killed Shade Djinn! Received 3000 Exp and 2805p!]

[Ding! Killed Shade Djinn! Received 3000 Exp and 3201p!]

[Ding! Killed Shade Djinn! Received 3000 Exp and 3102p!]

...

After repeating the same tactic over and over again for 2 hours, Max felt that maybe the Shade Archdemons is also a forum myth. As Max was about to give up, he saw it. A massive black cloud that was approaching from the east. He saw the cloud getting closer and soon materialising into a humanoid form.

It really was a Shade Archdemon! It was larger and much more muscular than the normal Shade Demon. It had 2 crimson red horns protruding from its head and it had red irises with orange veins in its eyes. Max observed it.

He could feel it's suffocating aura from all the way from where it stood. It looked at the giant ball of ki and placed it's hand on it. It slowly absorbed the ki. Max quickly activated [Freeze Domain] but it had no effect as it broke apart the restriction, offering little to no resistance to the Archdemon. Unfortunately for Max, the Archdemon pinpointed his location from that attack. It gave off the loudest roar and rushed towards him.

Max has thought up many countermeasures when fighting against it. Max quickly toggled on all the visible effects of his [Fire Ki Body] and [Lightning Ki Body]. When activated, his hair was giving off a glowing neon blue colour while his body was emitting wisps of flame, small discharges of electricity and sometimes small expulsions of purple plasma. Max's eyes were flaming while also giving off purple lightning.