Chapter 38.2: Escape

Max entered his subconscious mind and faced Nuage alongside Kai.

"My offer still stands human! Set me free and I will break the chains." Nuage repeated.

"No. He will enter a Soul Contract with you." Kai said from beside him.

Upon hearing this, Nuage's face contorted with disgust. He definitely looked like he was against the idea.

"ABSOLUTELY NOT! DO YOU THINK I AM THAT LOW!" Nuage spat back with rage.

At this point, he was just spitting out incorrigible words and offensive slurs.

Amidst the shouting, Kai looked at Max and asked him if he still wanted to enter the contract.

"I mean there is nothing else I can do right? I need him to enter the contract with me or I can't escape. There is no way I am setting him free either." Max replied.

He sighed and stared back at Nuage. This time he was angry.

"Alright, listen here. Join the contract with me or I will destroy you right here and now. You will cease to exist. You can join me or die." Max said as he looked at Nuage with rage.

He needed to escape or there was no way he could live another day safely.

Feeling the sudden outburst of bloodlust, Nuage felt a shiver down his non-existent spine. He knew that the blue crystal imprisoning him was powerful.

It had swiftly captured him. Who knows maybe it could even kill him effortlessly. Nuage thought about it for a moment.

"If, and this is only an if, I were to enter a soul contract with you, will you set me free?" Nuage asked.

"Yes." Max said. Right now he was willing to do anything to free himself from the weird chain.

Hearing this, Nuage sighed. He had no other choice.

"Fine. But I need-" He said.

"Great. Now I will guide you through the procedure and then we can escape." Kai immediately cut in.

Max nodded and proceeded to listen to what Kai was going to say.

"Normally there will be a person initiating the ritual and it will have to be the person entering the soul contract with the person. But I have a way around it. So I will be doing all the work while both of you just have to sit tight and wait." Kai said calmly.

Hearing this, Max was glad. Honestly, he had no idea on how this "Soul contract" works. He was relieved that he did not need to do anything.

"That makes my life easier." He said.

"Right. I just need you to relax while I initiate the contract." Kai said as he rolled his eyes.

...

Max was relaxed and calm. He waited for Kai to start the contract. Kai was mumbling something incorrigible under his breath and was drawing strange patterns in the air. Max was extremely curious on how it worked.

The strange runes in the air started bending and forming strange shapes. Eventually, all the runes fused together and turned into 2 big runes. Just what exactly was Kai doing?

The runes started to fly towards Max and Nuage respectively. He was expecting a similar reaction to the strange crests that the spirits from the second continent had given him but he was proven wrong. It was a cool feeling. Suddenly, his system rang.

[Ding! Soul Contract Detected! Accept?]

Seeing this, Max naturally accepted. Just as he accepted he received a flurry of notifications from his system.