fifty ▋whatever it takes

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"I have a question for you," Mari spoke, glancing up at the boy that stood in front of her. Yeosang stared back with his usual stone cold eyes, not a lick of emotion swirling in his irises. It was almost as if he had locked them deep away within his chest and thrown away the key in an attempt to keep himself closed off to others, but she knew that wasn't the case. How could it be, when she was aware of the fact that this was truly not the Yeosang she knew.

The Greek statue she called a friend hadn't spoken to her in weeks, given the fact that she was currently kidnapped and they had fought before the whole situation went down in the first place. "Why do you keep appearing in my dreams? It's always the nightmares, too."

The boy thought about it for a second, contemplating on how exactly he would answer her. "I don't know."

"Are you saying I don't know because you want to," Mari questioned, a weak smile growing on her face as she stared at the dream-state Yeosang, "or are you saying that because I'm the one who doesn't know?"

In that instance, he smiled, not the childish and amused one he'd give her for a statement like that, but a smile nonetheless. For her sake, Mari decided it was probably the latter that was the answer since dreaming state Yeosang most likely didn't have complete control over his thoughts. He was simply a mix of her known knowledge and unconscious thoughts, used as a visual depiction of her dreams trying to warn her of whatever dangers lie ahead.

A small laugh escaped her mouth as she registered the smile on his face, "this isn't a nightmare, I've just been sitting in the void with you for several minutes. I see no dead bodies of my friends, no Jaerin for me to scream at. So why are you here, Yeosang?"

He finally gave her an answer, a small yet decent answer. "Because you're running out of time and you're giving up on yourself."

"Am I dying?" Mari quickly interrupted, standing up to her full height in an instant. "I know I haven't really eaten anything for a week or two but I thought humans could survive at least a month before they finally clock out of existence. I can't die here, that'll just make everything easier for the Kim Faction and I live to spite them for fun!"

Yeosang rolled his eyes, trying his best to keep a straight face as a sigh of annoyance left his mouth. "You're not dying," he reassured you, "have you listened to what I've been saying this entire time?"

Mari sheepishly smiled at him, nervously scratching the back of her neck as she responded, "no not really. I've kinda been... preoccupied with other stuff? You're just a figment of my subconscious, you'd know I wasn't paying attention to literally any of that nonsense you spoke about."

The boy's eyes narrowed as he slowly nodded his head, "I see this now."

"How about instead of you being cryptic, you just go ahead and tell me exactly what you meant anyway? I think that would benefit me a lot more in the long run." She almost couldn't believe it, she could even get on real life Yeosang and subconscious Yeosang nerves.