three ▋become the norm

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Mari struggled to keep up, which is unlikely for a person like her. Sure she was smart, a little hot headed at times, even a bit cocky when she was doing things she excelled in. But school? Homework, classwork, exams, and even more? It made her feel like a deer in headlights and left her head spinning in confusion. Her skill with a weapon and persuasion was no match for the adults who stood high above her despite the opposite being the case.

She sat in the back of the classroom, eyes darting from the notebook in his hands to the board the teacher was using. With very word the teacher wrote, she was a sentence behind everyone else. With every question the teacher answered, she had another one bubbling instead her head just waiting to be answered. Yet when the time came for help, not a word escaped her mouth. She wasn't scared, Mari had bigger things to be afraid of knowing how her life went. She just felt shackled to the ground, unable to reach out and reserve the answers she deserved.

It was weird since this had never happened in the years before now. Perhaps this was reality coming to hit her with its hardest bat, alerting her that things were never going to stay the same. She didn't have the same fate as the rest of her peers, clueless of the things she's lived through. University was an option, yes, but dropping off the radar was placed above it. Mari couldn't be doing college essays left and right while she was dirtying her hands with sins not even her counselor could imagine.

"Mari?" The girl almost slammed her pencil down, resisting a scream that tried to escape her mouth. She was already awfully distracted by her own life, she didn't need another one. Yet she had to drop the ice cold glare in her eyes, noticing the instructor staring at her expectantly. "I need to talk to you in private. Do you mind stepping out the class and wait by the door for me?" She nodded reluctantly and stood up, trekking towards the door with a huff. Great, this was going to be an even farther setback than the one she was already in.

Mari was already in a bag mood as is. She had missed the entire day yesterday due to her being on a mission with Wooyoung till midnight. She had intentionally skipped her classes for it, after all it was more exiting than staring at the white walls of her classrooms. Not only that, but she had missed her chance to speak to Kang Yeosang this morning at the same time. Because of her detour with Wooyoung to the Kang Manor, it caused her to be late to her socially accepted prison.

Despite the Kang Manor not being very far from her own, he wasn't there when the two had arrived. In fact, no one was there when they had arrived. The building was completely abandoned by the people who lived in it, yet they could tell they had been there that morning. Come to find that Yeosang and his father had left early to accompany the Underboss in a transaction. It was an important one with the Nakamoto Yakuza, an associate and ally of the Seo Faction. They wouldn't be back for some time now, probably not till Mari and Wooyoung had returned back till the manor.