four ▋beginning of the end

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Mari turned the corner of the hallway, slipping inside of the administration office without anyone noticing her. Though she cursed at herself for being subconsciously cautious of what was around her, nothing at the school could truly hurt. What bad could really happen? Someone started bullying her?  She was raised too well to let anyone so weak try to take advantage of her. She just had to learn when she could turn her little habits on and off.

In the office, everyone was at work. There was a man typing away at the front desk, glancing up every so often to make sure he wasn't ignoring anyone. Behind him was a duo gossiping about their students, sharing what seemed like grades and judging them based on what a computer thought of them. Every so often a teacher would pass by the door near the back, papers in hand and dashing back to their classroom as fast as they could. The administration office was much more busy than she originally thought it was.

The adult at the front desk took a double take at Mari, almost shocked a student was in the office. He stopped all the work he was doing and pushed his revolving chair over to her. "Well isn't this a sight for sore eyes." He spoke, leaning up against the desk to face her. "I haven't seen a student genuinely come in here to not beg for answers to an exam in quite a few months now! You aren't in here for that... right?" The man questioned her, his eyes wide and innocent as he forced an answer out of her.

"Right... I'm here for a detention form." She told him and he nodded vigorously. He pushed himself in the revolving chair as he searched the drawers for the papers, frowning as he looked around. Mari watched as he rolled around the front office frantically in search of the papers he was supposed to be keeping track of. It seemed like he had lost them, and that meant Mari would probably be free to go. "Oh, if you can't find them, then that's okay. I was given detention for a really unfair reason anyways," She spoke, trying to ease him on to her side with a lie.

The man looked up curiously, the look in his eyes presenting her the need to know more. Mari smiled innocently at him as she rested her head in her hands. "My teacher is truly mean... she's isolating me out from everyone else and treating me worse than the others. All because I can't do the work as fast as everyone else. She gave me detention because of it! I have proof!" She was lying straight through her teeth, but the man was taking it as truth. Why would a young girl lie about being bullied by her teacher anyways?

"Seo Mari?" She turned around at the mentioning of her name, the slick smile on her face slowly dropping at the sight behind her. Walking through the glass doors was a man in a suit, adjusting the cuffs of his blazer and discarding the burnt out cigarette into the trash. The teachers who spotted the action scowled, getting ready to scold him on how he shouldn't be smoking and bring such objects around the students. He shrugged them off though, ambling towards her as he oozed with confidence.