twenty nine ▋songbird vs. rattlesnake

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"I'm so glad you could accompany me Jaebeom," Chaeyeon grinned, a sickly sweet smile on her fox-like features. "The way you had acted when we last saw each other made it seem like you didn't want to see me again yet here you are." She rested her head in her palm, leaning against the car door window as she waited for some sort of reaction from the Underboss. The two were forced into the same vicinity when they had gotten news of a very particular person who had requested their presence. Chaeyeon had tried to leave the Kim Faction headquarters before the Underboss had heard of the news but she was too slow.

The man didn't reply for a moment, focusing his attention on the hair tie that was wrapped around his wrist. "Seeing as your last objective was an utter failure, I decided to oversee this transaction of information myself. You Caporegimes have a habit of keeping the important details to yourself," Jaebeom scowled, tying his hair into a ponytail to keep his awfully long hair out of his face. 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes at his jab, silently taking deep breaths to keep her cool around the Underboss. She was already on thin ice with not just him but the entire Kim Faction, she'd rather not fall into their cold unforgiving waters. "Aren't you supposed to be preparing for the Godfather's return, he is returning today if I'm not wrong. You should be there with your men to greet him when he lands."

Jaebeom paused, thinking carefully about his next words as he dropped his hands from his head. "To my knowledge, he hasn't landed yet. In fact, he's probably not even in the country yet. The Consigliere told me that he will report back to me once the Godfather lands, he'll be greeting him in my place. I'm not still prepared to explain all that has happened since his absence and the Seo Faction problem is still there without any sort of lead on where she could have gone."

Chaeyeon nodded at his words, the gears in her head turning as she began to think. "You came along not to keep watch on me, but to get more information on that girl aren't you?" She guessed, a smirk playing on her lips when the Underboss didn't respond to her. "If you leave this meeting place without information, you won't be able to soften your fall when the Godfather asks what happened. I can't wait to see that all go down at the next rendezvous point."

"There won't be a need to soften my fall," Jaebeom spoke as the car began to slow down, signaling that they were reaching their destination. "Not when you will be there to fall with me." He sneered, reminding Chaeyeon that she was also trapped in a corner. All it takes is one word from the Underboss to put her failure to capture the Seo Faction member on blast. Catching that girl is a direct order from the Godfather himself, and he won't be too happy with either of them if he doesn't receive any good news.

Chaeyeon mumbled under her breath, cursing his existing as her driver looked up at them through the rearview mirror. "Ms. Jung," He stuttered out, feeling the amount of tension the two had built up between each other. "We've arrived at the destination you given me. Would you like me to park out of sight like normal?"