twenty eight ▋swear not by the moon

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"Mari?" The girl lifted her head up at the sound of her name, squinting her eyes at the bright light that infiltrated her eyes. She rubbed them in a slow motion, trying to regain consciousness of what all that's as going around her. The last thing she remembered was talking to Mingi about something minuscule, though he seemed rather excited about the topic. Had she fallen asleep while he was pouring out his heart about his interest? Now she felt like a bad person. "Mari, can I ask you a question?"

When she had completely opened her eyes, she immediately noticed something was off. She wasn't in the living room of Mingi's house, sitting on his couch and listening to him rant about whatever they were talking about beforehand. Instead, she was in a very small and rectangular room, reminiscent of a classroom even. It was almost completely empty, a few desks and chairs were scattered about the room with no one to fill them. It was just her, alone and sitting in a desk.

"Mari," The voice called her name again, rather soft and gentle compared to the loud and deep booming voice of Mingi. She turned around in the desk to look behind her, finding Yeosang staring at her with narrowed eyes like a cat. He didn't make a single noise when she saw him, even when she jumped at his sudden appearance he sat still in the seat. His hair was covering his eyes, only allowing his stone-cold eyes to shine through his bangs whenever he moved his head from one side to the other. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," she replied almost immediately, no hesitation stopping her from answering him. Why would she hesitate? Yeosang was Mari's friend and soon to be Consigliere, there was no need to question her actions around him. "Hit me with whatever you want."

The boy leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms as he thought about his next words carefully. There was a light jingling noise coming from his neck, catching Mari's attention in a matter of seconds. Her eyes were immediately glued to a shiny piece of jewelry that hung around his neck, a silver lock and key that were connected to each other by a chain. That was new, she had never seen him wear that before. "What do you think of Wooyoung and Hongjoong?" He asked her, a knowing look on his face.

"Wooyoung and Hongjoong?" She questioned him, a confused look on her face. He must have heard his name from the fight Mari and Wooyoung had, they were right in front of him when it happened after all. "They're really... really nice friends of mine. Wooyoung is annoying but he's got a good heart, I promise. He just wants what's best for me. Hongjoong talks like he's got hidden demons but he's practically an open book that just hasn't been touched yet. Why do you ask?"

"I only wish that you watch your next steps with them," he told her, gently taking her hands in his as if she was as fragile as a butterfly wing. "You trust both of them with such open arms and a warm heart, it hurts. You don't know what they're hiding, even those closest to you have secrets they can't tell in fear of your reaction. Even I have things I have sworn to never say. And there are some people who depend heavily on your outlook on them, it would be a shame it shatter all at once."