thirty seven ▋alone together

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

So they don't have enough proof to convict Jaerin of betraying the Seo Faction.

San had explained it all to them, why he was avoiding Mari and what he had been doing the entire time. Apparently, he was hot on Jaerin's tail, picking up on her odd habits and devilish attitude to try to uncover what she was hiding behind her back. He had to avoid Mari in order to do so, not wanting to link her to San's investigations and make her guilty by association. If Jaerin found out she was being clued in on what was going on, the pathological liar would find a way to accuse them of something heinous enough to put them both out of commission.

He had never been too fond of Jaerin's presence, finding something... off-putting about her and it wasn't shared with the rest of the Lee Faction. San just couldn't exactly place his finger on what exactly made her different from those around her, different from her own family. Despite her soft features and sickly sweet smile every time she batted her eyes at authority, it never felt like Jaerin was approaching anyone with good intentions. So he had steered clear of her, minding his own business and not wanting to get any more involved with the higher-ups of the faction than he already was.

That was until he overheard a conversation Jaerin was having. It was after the alliance between the Seo and Lee Faction had been officially formed, after the huge catfight between the two that Mari had caused in public. The Underboss was calling for each member of the faction that had witnessed the scene and forcefully sworn them to secrecy and San had snuck away just before anyone could have noticed he was gone. She was in a room by herself, pacing around impatiently as she spoke to someone on the other side of her phone.

San could only hear bits and pieces of the conversation, his mind already preoccupied with the act of defiance Mari had displayed earlier that day. He just knew she was furious, her body trembling in pure resentment for the events that had transpired. Jaerin was physically stopping herself from nearly screaming her vocal cords out of her throat. Her hands were clenched in vice grip tight fists as she whispered something soft yet threatening into her phone speaker before ending the call abruptly. It was eerily quiet after that before the smashing of glass against the hard floor echoed throughout the room, followed by a high pitched shriek of pure wrath.

The Underboss had found San before he could question the events before him, immediately switching gears to put his current worries at the top of his list of importance. He had tried to leave Jaerin alone after that, not wanting to dig into the situation any more just in case he was going to be led to his ultimate doom. But the longer San had left the thoughts unattended to, the more he began to think and wonder.

He ended up noticing small little things no one else seemed to be bothered by as well: random phone calls Jaerin would leave the room to answer, leaving the manor (to his knowledge) to meet up with what she would call friends from school, even her overall demeanor became more confident and at ease than she had originally been when she had first arrived at the Seo Manor. There were countless other details no one else but him had noticed as well, that's how San knew something wasn't right.