thirty four ▋twisting the knife

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"I wish I could say I didn't expect this, but I did." Wooyoung nodded, his shoulders beginning to tense in response to Mari's story. "It was only a matter of time before San started to understand what was going on around him. I won't lie, we have been off of our secretive game for a while."

The girl had spent thirty minutes sitting on her bed with Wooyoung, resisting the urge to let out a bloodcurdling scream every time she recalled a moment from the day before. In one singular afternoon, the day she had tried to avoid every living soul in her school, turned into what felt like a complete nightmare. Hongjoong collapsing without her knowing till the last second, his father coming and harassing the both of them, and worst of all, San exposing the fact that he knew his boss and her were related.

How long as she tried to keep up this lie to San, three or more years if she remembered correctly? There was no doubt that she had gotten comfortable, relaxing around him the closer they became. Yet that made Mari falter, blindsiding herself to all the possible hints that she had dropped to lead San to the conclusion he's come to. How many had went unseen by her and were picked by San piece by piece, helping him reveal the truth she tried so hard to lock him out of?

What's even worse was that while whatever small clues Mari and Wooyoung had left behind them could be second guessed and questioned, the scene she pulled in front of him during her catfight with Jaerin left no room for clues. The girl and the boss's actions that day could only leave one thought in the mind, that the relationship between the two was more tangled than anyone had originally thought. Had it been anyone else, they would have been punished or killed on spot for defying the boss's demands and harming a high ranking member of the faction.

But Mari? She had returned in one peace with furrowed brows and a ring on her index finger. Any other member of the faction would be dragged out of the boss's office, their blood leaving behind a trail of crimson red as they disposed of the body. If that wasn't the biggest dead giveaway to San, then she didn't know what else could be.

"What am I going to do?" She complained, running her hands through her hair aggressively, nearly pulling strands out in the process. "I'm not ready for this conversation... I was never going to be ready for this conversation! I mean... What do you think he'll say when we actually sit down and talk about this? 'Hey, I know you lied about your family for three plus years but that's okay because we're best friends'? I've already pissed off San once, I don't want to be in his line of fire again."

Wooyoung nodded, leaning his back against the girl's pillows in thought. "If he was really mad at you, you would have had a confrontation right then and there when he told you."

"But—"

"Yet he tried to keep it a secret," Her friend pointed out, not even giving her a chance to speak. "He blurted out what he knew in frustration, not because he was genuinely angry with you for keeping a secret from him for so long."