36

As the days went on Virgil was... well there really wasn't a word to describe what happened to him. He didn't shut down. Not completely anyway but... He wasn't ok in the slightest. Everyone... and I do mean EVERYONE... tried to reassure him with this gusto that... Roman DID NOT reject him. That whatever was going on with Roman was something else entirely and that he did love Virgil. Virgil was trying really hard to believe that...

But all he can think about was Roman telling him to stay away... that he didn't want to mark him.

If Roman didn't want to complete the bond than... clearly that meant he was going to reject him right?

What if Roman wanted to but now that Virgil had marked him he couldn't? Could rejection still happen if have the bond was established? Could Roman actually truly not want to be his...

Virgil whimpered as his chest twinged at the thought. He didn't want to lose Roman. He COULDN'T loses Roman. The whole point of this was because he loved him and just wanted to prove that to him. Virgil sighed as he looked over at his clock. It was late. This had become his routine.

He'd force himself up out of bed. He'd make breakfast, dropping a bowl for Roman, before taking his uneaten, and waking everyone up. He'd do the dishes and keep himself busy with chores before making lunch and once again switching it out for Roman. He'd check on his pack. He is an alpha after all. Despite all that's going on he had to make sure they were ok. He'd let them talk and go over everything. By this point, everyone was really concerned about Roman's health. Virgil would just smile and listen urging them to talk as he knew from his father bottling it all up is never a good thing. So he'd talk with each and everyone every day for as long as they'd need until dinner when he'd for the last time that day switch Roman's food out. When all that was done. He'd leave and just lock himself in his room.

He never ate dinner. He never ate breakfast. He only ate lunch because he didn't want to worry his packmates even more with everything going on. He was numb most of the day. He was completely numb until he was alone in his room where he finally just broke down.

He wanted Roman. It was like this itch under his skin. His heart broke every single day Roman kept himself locked away. Every night he'd end up working himself up into a panic. He couldn't help it. The man he loved had pushed him away. He felt like someone carved his heart out. He was scared. Roman was eating. Wasn't drinking... Virgil's father was a nurse before he became a therapist. Virgil was raised knowing things like how long the body can live without food and water. Sure a wolf's body is stronger and heartier than a human's. But that doesn't mean the risks are that different. 

2 weeks... 

That's the time limit Virgil's set in his mind. A wolf can survive without food with at least 2 weeks. It's always less for water. It's already been nearly one week and he was starting to lose hope. How long before dehydration ends up taking his love from him. Can Roman even move to get water at this point? Can he even eat? By this point Virgil was in a ball, a full-blown panic at this one thought that just would not go away.

He was going to lose his mate. If things don't change... He was going to lose Roman.

"Feeling better?" Colt lulled softly as he pulled the bowl away noticing how Roman was trembling to much to properly hold it anyway. Roman just smiled as he nodded and leaned his head back against the headboard. His eyes purple as he tensed up bad hearing the pained cries of his love as if right there with him. "Roman."

"I can't..." Roman's hand went to his head as he purple died to its usual red, tears spilling endlessly as he sobbed. "I don't want to hurt him. But... That's all I'm doing."

"Roman..."

"I just can't do it." Colt's eyes softened as he sat on the bed. Roman was shivering horribly but couldn't have a single blanket as it suffocated him with the overbearing heat he was letting off. "Can't do it."

"All we ever want is to protect our mates, huh?" Roman's eyes darted to Colt's as he nodded. Colt just smiled as he stared at the wall. "I found out about mine when I died. He's a very sweet boy but... he's in a not so good place right now. The hardest thing about this whole... dead thing is... I can't help him." Roman let out a soft purr making Colt laugh. He understood though. Roman was struggling to get his words out sounds are easier to make. His wolf was sympathizing with him. It... It actually made him feel a tad bit better. If only he could do the same for the alpha. "I want to find him and save him and love him... He's my mate but... I'm dead. What good would that do me? That would only hurt him more. Now he's alone and... I want to say if I had met him before that I would have protected him." Roman's eyes narrowed as he tilted his head with a short rumble. Colt only shook his head. "Oh, I would have protected him. But who would have protected him from me."

"Not... your fault." Roman whined as Colt smiled sadly. "D-Dark... You said... said it was dark."

"The darkness..." Roman nodded as Colt's eyes filled with tears. "I can't stand all the things I did Roman. Everything made me do... Darkness or not I still did that. I hurt my packmates. And Alpha's duty is to protect and serve their pack and I was the bad guy. A human had to come and save them from me." Roman's eyes darkened as Colt just laughed at himself. "If I had met my mate... He would not have been safe. So I understand what you're doing Roman. I'm doing it too. Keeping myself away from my mate so that he doesn't get hurt even more. The problem with that is in doing so we are causing them even more pain." Roman whimpered fearfully as Colt just crashed. "You're so scared of causing a panic that you're avoiding him and locking him out... and by doing so you are causing a panic. A lot of them Roman... Even more so the whole pack is started to feel it. They themself are scared for you but they all have this... weight over them. BOTH their alphas are suffering. Roman please..."