25

Roman slowly followed the other alpha through the place, overly observant to the death glare the other two were giving him, Janus more so than Remus. His eyes darted about taking in the beautiful artwork that lined the walls and he couldn't help but smile. He really was a sucker for the arts and knowing his mate was so good at it just made him love him even more.

"Virgil..." Roman froze up on the spot the moment Janus's voice hissed through the room. "Is there a reason you're just letting Roman into our home base?" Virgil's eyes narrowed as he looked back to see the concern in his beta's eyes. "How are EITHER of you ok with this. A pack's base is sacred."

"I want him here." Virgil mumbled with a roll of his eyes. "Besides he and I really need to talk."

"Virgil, I don't know if its..." Roman tensed as Virgil's eyes met his and he sighed. "We'll talk. We will. I'm just... worried is all. After everything's that's already happened I just don't want to cause any more problems."

"If you're causing problems then you should LEAVE!" Janus yelled out making Roman jumped with a glare in his eyes. 

"First off... You cannot tell me to stay away from him." Roman's voice was deep and gravelly making Virgil's anxiety blossom at the sound. Roman was getting upset. Janus was just being protective, and he could already see the panic in Remus's eyes. "You have no authority over me. If I want to see him I can... with or without your permission."

"Can't tell you? I'M HIS BETA!" Roman growl viciously making Janus cower suddenly at the sound. Remus's eyes snapped up in horror as Virgil quickly ran over grabbing Roman's arm. The other alpha whipped over only to freeze seeing Virgil and he crashed.

"I'm sorry." Virgil smiled sadly as Roman whimpered slightly. "I didn't mean to. I just..." Roman tensed as he quickly shook his head and looked at the other two only to crash more seeing the pure panic in his twin's eyes. "I'm sorry. You just... can't tell me to stay away. Only he can... only he can."

"I don't want you to. They'll understand."

"Virgil, I really don't think this is a good idea. They're right. I'm an alpha in YOUR packhouse. I shouldn't be here. I really..." Roman melted as Virgil caressed his cheek making him hum slightly in annoyance. "Damn it all..."

"We need to talk. We can explain it to them after you explain it to me." Roman's eyes darkened as he pulled away and nodded and making his way over to the couch. Remus frowned as his eyes darted around at everyone before sighing and gently pulling on Dee's arm for him to follow. It was clear the growl had affected the poor beta who was just frozen stock still. 

"Come on, Dee. Roman isn't going to hurt him." Dee flinched slightly before nodding and slowly following his mate out all while Roman watch with a pained look.

"I didn't mean to do that. It was instinct. I'm sorry."

"It's ok, Roman. He was just worried about me is all." Roman frowned as Virgil smiled softly at him. "We've all been through a lot. We take care of each other. I... I may not be the best of Alpha being as damaged as I am but... I know they have my back. We protect each other. He was just trying to keep us safe."

"But why from me... I'm not..." Roman sighed as he forced himself to shut up. "I'm very happy you have people who will protect you... who have protected you. I hope to be able to do the same."

"Roman... please... please don't try to run off again but..." Roman's eyes flashed with concern as Virgil's voice shook. "Why me?"

"I'm confused over the question?"

"Why is it me?" Roman only frowned as Virgil's hands started to shake. He slowly sat down beside the other alpha with this off look as he visible deflated. "When you call me your mate... is it just a claim... like you saw me and you wanted me so you chose me..."