34

Roman woke up already feeling his wolf sturring. A deep guttural growl rumbled through his chest as he pushed himself up. He could feel that slight tingle on his neck... that need to mark Virgil so much stronger. He pushed himself up off the bed wanting to drown himself in the scent of roses and rain so much that his own scent seemed to make him sick. He needed to find Virgil. He needed to claim Virgil. He needed to...

"No!" He chocked out as he shut his door and locked it with a very shaky hand. He slowly slipped to the floor panting out of breath, his wolf in agony as he forced himself to stay away. He couldn't do it. He couldn't mark him. He loved him than life itself. He was terrified. He just couldn't risk every hurting him again. "Virgil..." His voice was hoarse and filled with pain as he just laid there on the floor waiting for his body to have the strength to move again. "S-Stay away."

"So you finally did it?" Virgil froze up as he looked over to see Colt sitting there with a large smirk. "Oh, don't give me that look. I know you've been working on getting better so you and Roman could finally complete that bond. I can see the light in your eyes, Virgil. You're practically glowing."

"What?" Remus hopped in with a loud laugh as he looked between the two of them. "Who's glowing? Is someone radioactive?"

"No, Remus." Colt rolled his eyes playfully as he pointed over at their alpha. "Virgil marked your brother."

"YOU DID?!" Virgil growled angrily making Colt pale but Remus just giggled and toppled over the couch looking through the nook to see Virgil making some food. "YOU DID! You marked him! Oh, my tittytwisters!"

"Remus!" Virgil laughed as his hyper friend just wiggled his mustache at him in a comical way. "I don't see how it's any of your guy's concern. Maybe I'm just making some dinner."

"You're making a sandwich." Virgil shot Colt a look who just smirked right back at him. "A single loaded sandwich no doubt to help build up energy as I've told you the process can be a bit draining. You've already eaten WITH us to which you promptly left immediately after to go back to the room. Now your out again for more food? Highly doubtful considering your usual intake, and the fact that Roman missed dinner to which you made sure everyone knew was ok. You marked him. And you've planned on him waking up soon so you're trying to care for him the best you can."

"You are way too smart. Aren't ghost supposed to be... I don't know..."

"What? Just because ghosts aren't apart of the real world you think we're closed off and then ignorant. I told you. Once my soul went to her it was like opening a can of worms..."

"Yum." Remus mumbled with a laugh making Colt actually chuckle a bit. Virgil was glad those two were starting to get along. Janus on the other had... Colt and Dee still had a long ways to go.

"I'm not dealing with this." Virgil called back with a playful annoyance as he walked off ignoring the sound of those two's excessive laughter. He started up the steps before this chill came over him. This really bad feeling crawled down his back and he shivered. Something was wrong with Roman. "Ro?" He cautiously made his way to his mate's room only to find it locked and he could feel his wolf lurch at the feeling that was drowning him. His panic was starting to bubble up as he knocked gently praying he was just being paranoid. "Roman." 

"Go... G-Go aw... away." Virgil's heart completely shattered at the growl that sounded through the door. He could feel the hair on the back of his neck rise. The sudden intense need to protect his mate but... "GO AWAY!"

"Roman, I... It's me." Virgil gently leaned into the door his palm against the wood as his other gripped the sandwich. "It's me, Ro. Please... Please open up."

"No." Virgil crashed his hand nearly slipping causing him to jerk to not lose the sandwich. "You need to leave, Virgil." Virgil could feel his heart breaking in him. "Go away. Stay away from me."

"I... I b-brought food." Virgil gasped out as he tried to ignore the pain in his chest. "I'm sorry, Roman. I didn't mean to upset you. Please... Please don't lock me out because of this?"

"I don't want to mark you, Virgil." And with that Virgil completely crashed... "So just stay away from me." The plate dropped, crashing to the floor making Roman jump in his bed. His eyes were a very dark blood red. He was sweating and overheating so badly. He hadn't felt this bad since he first started getting affected. He wanted to rush out there and make sure Virgil was ok. He even felt his body start to move but... he knew the second that door opened nothing would stop him from claiming Virgil as him. It was taking all that he could not to move right then. In fact, it was pure agony. The self-control he had was damn near godly considering. He could feel this wash come over him. This intense harrowing pain in his chest. It felt like his heart was literally yanked from him. 

"I'm sorry, Roman." Virgil didn't move a muscle but he knew he was crying. His tears fell from his cheeks soaking into the floor. Virgil's eyes flashed a bright blue as, in his mind, he say Roman look upr right at him. The anger, guilt, and pure pain he felt tear through his body was... enough to completely break him. He should've had more self-control. He should've thought things through. He thought... He thought Roman loved him.

"Virgil?" Roman knew Virgil was in his head. He could feel it. Yet his mate didn't say a word. He could almost see the tears streaking down his love's face. He hated it. He hated it so much. But he couldn't move. If he moved, that was it. His promise to never do that to Virgil... to never... Never again... if he moved, he would fail.

Virgil honestly wholeheartedly believed Roman loved him. That he wanted this. Roman said he wanted this... at the start. Maybe he waited too long. Maybe he did something. Maybe... Maybe Roman just stopped loving him. He didn't know, but whatever it was was now causing Roman pain. 

"I'm sorry. I'll... I'll leave you alone."