7

"Well, that was... interesting?" Logan frowned as he looked out the window and sighed. "That could have gone better." Roman grunted in agreement as he just stared at the book in his hands. "We're all in agreement right... that Virgil's..."

"He didn't smell like a wolf?" Logan frowned as he tapped his nose making Patton smile sadly. 

"Scents can be masked, Pat. Plus his 'scent' was far to off. It didn't smell natural. Roman, what did you... get?" Logan peered through the rearview mirror to see his alpha lost... and tearing up. "Roman?"

"What happened?" Roman's fingers brushed a picture and he could feel himself choke up. In the photo was Remus smiling happily as he waved to the camera. The caption read in a bright bold green font... Survived Hell and Came Back Stronger... Remus was bandaged up but beaming brightly. He has cuts and bruises but none of if darkened his bright expression. Roman struggled just to keep his tears off the page.

"What?" Roman swallowed his growing grief as he took a shaky breath passing the book up to Logan, who's eyes went wide. "What the hell? What happened to him?"

"Do you... do you think it was..."

"You said it yourself kiddo. Why would someone go through the trouble of killing the alpha and leave the rest." Roman's eyes darkened as Patton sighed. "Plus... Virgil did mention that Colt wasn't the nicest."

"He was a manipulative dick but he was still an Alpha. Our duty is to our pack." Patton frowned as Logan and him shared this look. "You couldn't possibly think..."

"Virgil showed signs of hating Colt. I could see it in him. And if I saw it..." Roman's eyes widened as Logan shook his head passing the book back. "What if it was Virgil?"

"What do you mean?" Logan's eyes shifted as he slipped into his mind to work things out.

"We don't know him. We don't know what he's capable of. We can assume he's one of us and due to signs and what he's told us, we can also assume there are two others. He's from Fairview and despises Colt."

"You wondering if it was him who killed hi..." Roman stopped short the moment his eyes met with the photo he turned to. 'The Pack'... the... 

"Without further evidence, I can't say for sure but... Roman, are you listening?" Roman's eyes never left the photo as he shook his head. Patton pulled into the base and frowned seeing the way Roman was so tense. 

"Kiddo?"

"Virgil Dean, Janus Wayne, and Remus Trebaine... The Pack of Fairview." Logan and Patton's eyes went wide as they turned to see Roman in the back with narrowed eyes. "This inseparable trio went through hell as each one endured there own trauma only to find a family in each other. If there was any group worthy of the 'most likely to stay friends forever', it's them."

"Is there anything about..."

"Colt?" Logan nodded as Roman turned the page and held the book up only to watch the color drain from his friend's eyes. "What was that about Virgil hating him?"

"Kiddo that's..." The dedication page was practically blacked out. The only reason they knew what it was was because of the table of contents page. Every image colt was in he was crossed out. Virgil didn't want to just not hear his name... he didn't want to see him either.

"Well, good news is... We know Remus is alive." Logan's eyes narrowed as Roman pulled the book back, turning to the group graduation photo's and smiling at his brother kissing Janus. "He seems to also have found someone."

"And due to that... Pack page?.." Logan rolled his eyes as he shook his head. "It's safe to assume the other two here are..."

"My brothers here." Roman smiled softly as he brushed his fingers against the photo before laughing. "Remus is... here. He's here and he's alive."

"Roman, I wouldn't get to happy just yet." Roman tensed as he looked up to see Logan shooting him this look before starting to get out of the car. "Colt's still dead."

"Well, Remus is the son of an alpha. He has alpha blood in him. He could have..."

"Wasn't it you who said he never wanted to be." Roman frowned as his hands shook and his eyes darted from his friends to the picture and back again.

"Logan, think about it. Colt's dead and he was 'attacked'." Logan's eyes darkened as Roman closed the book and gripped it tightly. "What else could have happened? Remus challenged him and killed him... It makes sense."

"Remus didn't strike me as the kill your competition type." Roman sighed as he shook his head and started to get out himself.

"We don't know what spurred it. We don't know why... Just... It's the only thing I can think of." Roman frowned as this chill ran down his spine. 

"Roman, what's wrong? Your eyes..." Roman growled as his skin began to crawl. There was a new scent in the air. A scent that smelt more like death. It carried with the wind making it smell like something was rotting... and coming their way.

"Don't worry about it." Roman shook himself from his thoughts as he tried to ignore it for now. "Right now we have to focus on the other pack..."

"You mean you're brother." Roman smiled softly as Patton leaned into his mate's arms. "It would be nice to see Ray Ray again."

"First we have to determine their motives." Logan snapped as he fixed his tie. "I know he's your brother but... His pack... They're here for a reason. They know this is our territory yet they moved in regardless. Why?"

"You're right." Roman sighed as he ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "We have to find out answers..." Roman's eyes narrowed as he stood up a bit straighter. "Virgil is off-limits. He's an unknown variable. Until we know who or what he is, I don't want either of you going near him." Logan nodded as Patton frowned while Roman's eyes narrowed even more. "I'll handle him. Logan? I want you to figure out as much as you can about Colt and his death... er, disappearance."

"Of course, Alpha."

"And if you could find out anything about the pack in general, Virgil included that would be very helpful." Roman turned his attention to Patton and smiled softly. "If Remus is here... then Janus would be to. He was Colt second in command. If you find him and only if... I want you to try and get close to him." Patton nodded as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I want both of you to be safe though... theres something coming." The air chilled as Roman let his eyes slip shut. "We need all the information we can get."