14

"Wait so... You're telling me Virgil WAS in fact of human birth?" Logan sat there with this confused look as he tried to internalized everything he was told. Thomas nodded only to shake his head and shrug. 

"See that's what I was never able to understand, Logan. Virgil was human. That was obvious but... Remus said he smelt differently than other humans. He had a sort of... comforting lull... something in the background that drew him in." Logan's eyes narrowed as he quirked his brow a bit in confused interest. "Virgil, despite being born human, did in fact display abilities and feat of a wolf. Sure it was not to the level as a true pureblood but it was there. Virgil's incredible agility and speed... his strong senses...." Thomas glanced over at Roman, who was just staring at his hands, before shaking his head a bit and sighing. "His... Alpha tendencies."

"Wait, what?" Logan frowned as Thomas nodded. 

"Even while human Virgil was very protective of those he considered family... his pack. His personality although secluded for the most part was still dominant and could not be missed. It was what drew Colt to him. Virgil had a sense about him... you couldn't ignore him... even if you wanted to. Remus and Janus were literally underlings of Colt yet with one simple command Virgil had them disobeying their alpha."

"That's... impossible..."

"While he was still human too." Logan's eyes shot wide as Thomas nodded. "Virgil isn't an ordinary wolf. He's incredibly powerful but... Being that he was born a human..."

"He wasn't raised with the knowledge all wolves should have." Thomas nodded again as Logan narrowed his eyes in concern. "I'm still lost on the... human birth thing. How is possible?"

"I am unsure..."

"Romulus and Remus." Logan's eyes went wide as Roman's voice shook. It was the first thing he said during the hours of conversation that had just taken place. Roman's eyes darkened and Logan tensed noticing the dark red glow in his alphas eyes. "Romulus and Remus... The first true were's..."

"Lupa!" Roman frowned as Logan's eyes went wide. "Virgil's name... Virgil Lupa Dean!"

"What does that have to do with..."

"Romulus and Remus aren't just the brothers who created Roma, Thomas." Roman rolled his eyes slightly but didn't move from his current deflated and hunched position. 

"Indeed. It is said that those two are actually the very first of our species. The two boys were adopted by Lupa a wolf spirit. Our myth states that the moon goddess herself took this form and cared for the boy thus passing her blessing onto them." Roman grunted in acknowledgment as his eyes darted towards the door. "Roman's father thought it fitting to give the twins those names as to..."

"There is power in names and by naming us as such he was defining our tie to the moon goddess..." Roman mumbled as his eyes narrowed a bit still staring at the door.

"But you just said that it's believed that Lupa was the moon goddess... and Virgil's middle name..."

"Precisely my question to... Roman, might I be allowed to dig deep..." Logan froze up as Roman started to get up much to his confusion. "Roman..." 

"Let him go." Thomas spoke softly as the two watched Roman leave. Logan frowned as Thomas just shook his head. "He most likely reached his limit. I'm surprised at how your fairing actually. You have quite the resolve to be so far from your mate for so long."

"Patton and I always together in our hearts and mind." Logan smiled softly. "At least that is what he would say. I've learned that despite him not being beside me... we are not apart." Logan frowned in confusion as he met Thomas's eyes. "That does not explain Roman's sudden departure."

"Actually... it explains it quite well." Thomas's eyes fell as his smile turned incredibly sad. "Especially, after all, he just heard."

Roman slowly made his way up the steps trying really hard not to cry as he made his way up to the room. He didn't know what hurt him more. Learning about all the abuse and torture his brother and mate was forced to endure by the hands of their alpha, the very man who was supposed to protect them? Or Virgil. Virgil... the human who put himself in the line of fire to save them. Virgil, who got bit and nearly died. Virgil, who lost his family and went on fighting with the full idea that he was NEVER going to make it out of it all alive. Virgil... 

"R-Ro..." Roman froze up as he looked up to find himself standing there in Virgil's room beside the bed. Virgil was fussing in his sleep. Sweat dampened his flushed skin as he whimpered out. Virgil's eyes fluttered letting a slight bit of lavender peak through and Roman's heart raced.

"Virgil?" Roman took a deep breath as he reached out only to jump at the electricity when their hands touched. Roman's eyes went wide as Virgil literally latched onto his hand with a whimper. "It's ok. It's ok, Virgil." Roman went to pull his hand free when he suddenly froze up getting this intense wash of need come over him. Virgil let out a soft breath as Roman started to tear up.

"S-Stay... Ro... stay." Virgil whined slightly as he tensed gasping a bit a Roman stepped back. His mind focused not on Virgil in bed but on the space beside him. He felt something brush his cheek as if someone had touched him and this spark went down his spine. He smiled slightly as he glanced back over at the bed. 

"Are you sure?" He felt his heart race as that wash came over him again and sniffled a bit wiping his tears away as he walked over to the other side of the bed. He laid himself on top of the blankets and sighed as he made sure his fingers were always touching Virgil. It was like he had to make sure he was still there that... they were still together. Roman's eyes never left the other As Virgil rolled over in his sleep and hummed slightly as his hand rested over top Roman's. Roman's eyes slowly started to drop and the last thing he saw before falling asleep was a sleeping Virgil beginning to smile. "Good night, Virgil."

"Good night, Roman." Virgil hummed as he stood there staring at the other alpha. It was odd being there and seeing himself sleeping but... something about it always just felt normal. Like even though he knew he was asleep, he knew this was real. Roman was really there. He was really laying beside him. He had really just fallen asleep in his bed but... Virgil couldn't have been happier. Having Roman there beside him... for the first time in a whole year...

He finally felt safe.