Puppy

*Vivian's P.O.V*

I smiled slightly as I stepped off the platform, my mother following behind me. I glanced at her and the bag she was holding, sort of wanting my rope toy that was in it. I didn't say anything though, not wanting to seem attached to it. I jumped when I felt a hand touch my arm and I looked to see my Aunt Maya. She had followed my gaze and saw the bag too, reaching out and taking it from my mother.

"What are you doing?" I questioned nervously. The rope toy and feather thing were mine. Why had she taken the bag? It was my stuff and I didn't want her to take it away from me.

"Nothing," she stated as she gently grasped my arm and pulled me into a more private part of the room. Even then, I could feel the eyes of my family still on me. "I need you to get down on your hands and knees," she told me.

"What? Why?" I asked as I frowned and tilted my head. It was a weird request and I wasn't sure if I felt like listening to her.

"I know they probably had you do it when you were getting classified," she told me. "I want you to sit like how they had you sit," she stated. I frowned as I did as she said, finding it to feel better when I was sitting like I had before. "Good girl," she praised as she ruffled my hair making me grumble.

She rolled her eyes and reached into the bag, pulling out my rope toy. My eyes immediately locked onto it. She dangled the toy in front of me and I watched it swing slightly. I lunged forward and bit the end of it, crawling backwards while tugging at it.

"Oh does the little puppy like her toy?" she asked as she tugged on it slightly. It was like a switch flipped in me and I growled, feeling protective of my toy. Everything seemed different and I realized I had fully slipped into my puppy mindset. She released the toy and I shook my head before dropping it. I leaned my head down and picked it up with my teeth so that it was more centered in my mouth.

I turned and crawled away, finding it more natural feeling than walking could. In fact, I picked up a rhythm quite quickly and found it easy to do a little proud prance. Who did she think she was anyways? Think she could beat me in tug of war over my toy. 

I found my mother and pushed against her leg slightly making her look down. She smiled and crouched down, petting my back and head. I leaned into in her hand and dropped my toy, sitting down. She moved to pick up my toy making me growl and paw my toy to rest underneath me.

"Excuse you? Did you just growl at me?" she questioned while raising an eyebrow. "Do you think it's okay to growl at me?" she asked.

"Oh let it go Layla, pups are usually very protective of the first toy they get so it's expected that they growl," Aunt Maya said as she walked up behind me. She used her foot to push my side causing me to slide across the floor. I yelped from surprise as I looked at her, growling when she picked up my toy. She threw my toy making me scramble after it, picking it up quickly. I found that the feeling of the rope on my tongue didn't bother me as much as I got used to carrying the toy and picking it up.

I carried my toy back and dropped it at my aunt's feet before sitting down. It was quite fun to chase my toy I had discovered so now someone was going to have to keep throwing it until I got bored or tired or distracted which could take a while with my attention span for that toy. "Looks like you'll be busy for a while," my mother laughed.

"Oh no, there's no way I'm standing here for however long it takes to exhaust her," my aunt said as she picked up the toy. "I'll throw it once more and then you can find others to throw it for you," she stated before throwing the toy. I shot after it, finding a good and speedy rhythm. I skidded to a stop and picked it up before looking around taking the toy to my grandfather. He picked it up and threw it for me.

I scrambled after it and picked it up before taking the toy to one of my cousins who threw it for me. It took almost an hour for me to get bored of chasing the toy. I sat there, panting softly as I looked around quietly. I jumped when a bowl was set down in front of me. 

"There you go," my mother said as I looked down at the bowl. I sighed in relief when I saw the water and bent down, lapping at the water. I found it hard to quench my thirst at first but found it easier after a bit especially if I cupped my tongue while it was in the water. I drained the water rather quickly and sat there panting to catch my breath since I drank it so quickly.

I picked my toy up and found a table that I could crawl under. I circled underneath it before laying down, my toy tucked under my chin. I looked up when the table cloth was picked up and stared tiredly at my grandmama. She gave me a rolled up looking bone making me look at her.

"It's a treat made for pets like you. It's safe for you to eat and it's supposed to taste like bacon," she told me as she pet my head before getting up and leaving me alone. I started to chew on the bone, letting out a small grumble of happiness as I kept it between my arms. I chewed on it, slowly stripping off pieces of it and eating it. I curled up with it, sighing contently at the darkness and starting to fall asleep slowly.