prologue.

AN: THIS BOOK NEEDS SERIOUS EDITING LIKE GOSH, I'M NOT PRETTY PROUD OF IT, BUT ITS MY FIRST BOOK OF ALL TIME, and I'm sooo happy you're here for it, to watch me grow in my writing and all, thank you, I really do appreciate it so much you all have no freaking idea, I'll start editing from December, 2021.

The night was dark and cold as usual, not skin-biting, but enough to make you shiver. The Evans were having a nice time in the woods, close to Venice, the town they came from.

You could tell from the smile on their faces that the whole family were happy to be together once again.

It was a pleasant idea to camp in the woods tonight. The fireflies lit up in the sky in a marvellous way. These beautiful creatures were one of the many things that made Ray and Richard's childhood here memorable. When they were young, they visited here often just to watch the fireflies light up the sky at night.

Little Mae ran around the tent campfire with her two male cousins, James and Jerry.
"Mae dear, be careful the way you run around that fire!" Ray yelled as he helped his wife with the tent.

"I will Dad." Her voice sounded cheerful as always.

Ray's wife, Jane, turned to him and beamed a radiant smile. "Our daughter is really having a fun time. I haven't seen her this happy since we bought her that stuffy pony."

"Yes, she is." Ray ran his hands through his wife's long black hair. "I hope you're happy too, you know you two mean the world to me."

Her icy blue eyes sparkled in admiration. She really loved how caring her husband was. "Ray what would I ever do without you?" She asked throwing her arms around him, reluctantly drawing out of the hug also.

Ray's cheeks were filled with red now, he shyly removed his gaze and went back to setting up the tent.

"Hey, Ray over here!" Richard gestured at his brother to come.

"Honey excuse me." Ray trudged towards him. He was really tired after the long trip.

"Hey, I'm having a bad feeling about this." Richard started, feeling tense.

"Don't worry, nothing will happen." Ray said as he touched his brother on the shoulder and gave him a reassuring look.

"The beasts... I still don't think it's a myth." Richard said just before sighing.

"Remember we came here often when we were kids." Ray looked into the thick black woods. "Did we see any beasts ?"

Richard shook his head.

"Alright, let's go help the ladies set up the tent." Ray dragged his brother playfully back to the campfire.

"Where are the kids?" Richard's wife, Marie, asked scratching her short blonde hair.

"They are close, I can hear their giggles." Ray sounded sure of his reply.

Mae was playing the hide and seek game with her cousins. Her cousins hid behind a tree and counted while she ran deep into the woods to hide. Soon she was welcomed with just darkness. She looked back and her eyes found the campfire. She could also hear the laughter of her Father. This made her feel safe.

Suddenly, there were sounds of sticks breaking and leaves moving, she thought it was her cousin, perhaps Jerry.
"You can't catch me." She sang with her little voice, laughing.

She then heard a growl. She didn't know what that was, and it certainly was not her cousin. She peered deeper into the darkness and she saw red eyes lined up like when horses line up for a race.

She was breathing hard now and she could feel her nerves swell up. Her mouth opened wide but her throat felt so dry that she couldn't even say a word. As this unknown creatures crept closer, she wondered why they hadn't chased her yet, even as a child she knew they were dangerous. She kept moving backwards slowly but that didn't stop them from coming closer.

She was closer to the campfire now, so there was little light to be seen. A creature then crept out of the dark. It was the biggest dog she had ever seen. At least she thought of it as a dog. It was almost the same height as the tall tree beside her. It's eyes as red as crimson and it crawled to her stealthily like a lion ready to devour its prey.

She closed her eyes in fear while she trembled, uncontrollably. In a matter of seconds , she could feel the fur on her face. She opened her eyes and looked up at the creature staring at her. She was horrified. Mae could feel it breaths on her face.

Her icy blues glimmered as she stared into the eyes of this very large dog. They both snapped out of their worlds when they both heard a scream.

Mae knew it was her mum. She got up swiftly and ran to the warm embrace of her already shaking mother.

"Are-- Are you o-- okay sweetie?" Her mother nubbed her hands gently, at the back of her daughter. Mae nodded her head while tears ran from her eyes. She kept on Wondering why the big dog didn't chase her.

The beasts saw men pointing guns at them, but they didn't move , it was as if they were hypnotized.

These creatures knew the gun holders were no match for them. The Evans took this opportunity and ran as fast as they could away from the woods. They went back to Richard's home.

The next day, they informed the police about it, but of course, the police found nothing, except antelopes and dogs.

Please vote on my story.