Chapter 40

《LEVI'S CHAPTER》

"Yes, that's me!" Levi wasn't able to hold back his excitement, smiling brightly.
"Woah... what exactly is going on?" Jay hesitantly asked.
"Jay, this is David. He is my brother, I told you about him before."

Jay raised both of his eyebrows. "David? Woah, that's such a coincidence."
Dave still looked like he was in shock.
"My shift ends in a few minutes, so I should get going now. I'll be back soon."

Levi felt a bit disappointed seeing his brother leave so quickly. They hadn't seen each other in 4 years, and they had barely spoken since, so he wished his brother would've reacted a bit more excited than he just did when they were finally reunited.

He sat back down, slowly starting to eat his ice cream.
"David... you told me he got kicked out, right?"
Levi nodded, glad Jay remembered so he didn't have to explain that to him, since it was a painful memory to recall.

"I haven't seen him since. That's why he didn't recognize me just now, I mean I was 11 when he left so I changed quite a bit."
Jay nodded slowly. "Yea, I can imagine. Did you miss him a lot?"

"I did, but luckily I still had my other siblings, when he was all by himself. He must have felt so alone during these past few years."
"Didn't you tell me you still kept contact with him though?"

"Well, me and my siblings are allowed to update him online about our lives through our parent's email every now and then, but my parents checked what we sent him, so I couldn't really tell him much. We weren't even allowed to send pictures of ourselves or anything. He also never sends anything back, since it's not permitted by our parents for him to respond to us."

Jay stared at him for a moment, clearly a bit disturbed by what he had just been told. "Wow, our parents sound quite controlling."
Levi shrugged his shoulders. "Usually they're fine, this is the only thing besides religion that they're really strict about."

"Hmm, about religion. Are you planning to keep going to church later on?" Jay suddenly asked.
"I don't think there's any room for someone who is gay and in a relationship in our church, so no. But I don't think I would've gone there regardless, since I'm quite unconvinced god exists in the first place."

His answer made Jay grin a bit. "Good thing we are on the same page then. I can't imagine how my dad and stepmom will react once I leave the church though."

Levi bit his lip. "I'm afraid I can." He mumbled.
"Hey, Benny."
"Oh, Dave! Please sit down here." Levi moved aside so his brother could sit down next to him, which he did.

"So... what brings you guys here?" Dave started off.
"We just heard there's a fair in town, and Levi really wanted to go."
Dave smiled at Jay. "By the way, how do you guys know each other?"

"Oh, I totally forgot to introduce him to you!" Levi said. "This is Jay, my neighbor, friend, and the guy who sits next to me in church." He had hesitated for a moment if he should tell his brother that he also was his boyfriend, but Dave didn't seem to notice.

"Ahh, I see. Nice to meet you, Jay. I'm David, Levi's brother as your probably know by now. But you can call me Dave."
"Dave, how have you been doing ever since you... left home?"

"I'm doing fine I guess." Dave sighed. "It was hard at first, I couldn't even go to college, since I was using the money I had saved up on living expenses. But I managed to get 3 jobs, and after working for these past few years I had saved up enough to start studying medicine."