Chapter 1

《LEVI'S POV》

"Why do I have to sit there?! What if dad is able to see my phone?"
Levi rolled his eyes at his sister, who kept on whining, even though she knew their sister wasn't going to change her mind. "Stop screaming. My ears are suffering."

Leah turned around, her eyes piercing his. She brought her face closer towards Levi, and whispered in a way she always did when she knew she got him: "YOU shut up. Or do you want me to tell our parents that you always sleep on my shoulder in church?"

Levi pushed her away, knowing he wasn't able to say anything. His parents would be pissed knowing that his sister used her phone to play games and talk with her friends, but if they found out he always slept during the seemingly endless rampage of the preacher about how this world was turning into a pool of murderers, whores and GAYS...

Honestly, Levi didn't care about those last two. Murdering was horrible obviously, that was not a point to argue about, but he didn't think people had the right to nag about whom f*cked whom, for whatever reason or whatever gender they were.

All that honestly mattered to him was that both parties consented, and he could not get himself to believe that all gay people were rapists.

Not that he knew much about it, he had never met a gay person. And even if he did, he probably would never know that, since no one dared to come out in this community.

"Levi! Get out of the car. We're going to be late."
Naomi was his eldest sister, and the one who had to look after his younger siblings, but instead she was always busy looking at the boys and fixing her make-up.

To try and control the kids at least a bit, she kept on feeding them candy, in a way to try and shut their mouths. This meant that the kids were always extremely hyped up and energetic when they came home, which made their parents worry about what happened to them.

Still, no one told on her, since she would expose their secrets in return, or with the children, not give them any candy anymore. Which is basically a kid's worst nightmare.

But even though the entire family was manipulating each other, they still all had a pretty close band, perhaps even due to the manipulating.

"Oh, hello!" Mrs. Smith waved at them as they were trying to get through the hallway without losing anyone or making too much noise.

"Shit." Naomi sighed, knowing very well what was coming. She slowly walked towards Mrs. Smith, while holding the youngest two children's hands.

"Naomi Anderson. It seems like you're a bit late today. But don't worry, I have waited for you." She smiled widely, so everyone could see her missing tooth.

"GREAT." Leah looked like she was so done that she'd rather die than stay here for two more seconds. Which was probably true.

"Oh wow. Thank you so much for waiting. But sadly we have to hurry and leave you, before we miss the most exciting 2 hours of the week."

Somehow mrs. Smith didn't sense the sarcasm that was clearly visible in Naomi's voice, so she kept smiling.

"It warms my heart to see how passionate the family of our favourite church member is. Your dad is very admirable for the way he is raising his family."

Naomi nodded, and looked at the open doors to the church hall, which all of a sudden had turned from the biggest horror Levi had to experience in his life, into their great escape.

"We'll tell him you complimented him. He'll surely be happy to hear that. Now, if you would excuse us..."
She quickly walked away, with all of her siblings following her like some sheep following their sheppard.