Chapter 30

《RIVEN'S POV》

"What do you mean?" Riven's voice trembled a bit, even though he himself had no idea why.
"Well, you're my best friend. I'm really grateful to know you."
Riven slowly nodded. "Well, that was pretty random."

"OH MY GOD!!! NICK!" Emily had noticed them, casually standing behind the refrigerator and came running towards them. "I had no idea you'd come."
Nick winked at her and Riven felt the need to throw up.

"Of course." He said, and went to hug his ex-girlfriend. "Oh, I see you took your friend with you as well." She smiled at Riven, who forced a smile onto his face. Emily sent a not so subtle look towards Charlotte who was standing behind her and Riven wondered where he could find the nearest window to jump out of.

Nick let go of Emily and put his arm around Riven's shoulder. "Well I had to take him with me, since it seems like I can't basically function without him." Riven couldn't help but feel like he just won something, especially when he saw the look on Emily's face.

Then he realised he was being stupid and moved away from Nick.
"Okay," Charlotte said, "it's time to party!"

~~~~

Riven was sitting on a couch, next to some girl with purple hair who seemed to have fallen asleep already. He checked his Instagram once again, and noticed that his phone was about to die. He looked around but couldn't find Nick, who had been with him most of the time but disappeared about 15 minutes ago.

Emily wasn't there either, which made him feel a bit uncomfortable. He saw a girl looking around, and got worried she would try and talk to him. He thought about acting like he had fallen asleep because he drank too much, but he realised that would not be realistic at all since he had refused to drink any alcohol all night.

The girl came closer to him, and he realised it was Charlotte.
"Hi." She said, looking a bit nervous. "Can I sit down next to you?" Riven looked at the purple haired girl. "Seat's taken."

"Oh." She looked back over her shoulder, to a few guests who were sitting on the floor, eating some chips and drinking some liquor Riven couldn't identify from this far away. "Do you mind... coming with me and being introduced to some of my friends?"

Riven thought of the friendliest way to say no, but he blacked out and just stared back at her for a few seconds in silence, until she continued, clearly not knowing what to do with herself. "It's okay, you don't have to..."
To Riven's instant regret, his good manners kicked in, and he got up. "I'll go with you."

Charlotte let out something that could be best described as a giggle. "Yay!" She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the messy circle her friends were sitting in. "This is Riven." She simply said. It was silent for a while, until Riven realised he should say something next. "Hi. I'm Riven."

"Hey dude." A guy with blonde, long, curly hair grinned.
"That's Kyle." Charlotte explained.
"Hi, I'm Kyle."
Charlotte frowned at Kyle, who rolled his eyes. "So, Riven, how about you sit down next to me?"
Riven looked at Charlotte, expecting her to suggest she'd sit down next to Riven instead.

When she didn't answer, he realised she wasn't Nick and obviously wouldn't know how uncomfortable this made him. But since he didn't want to say no in front of everyone, he just sat down. Perhaps Kyle would turn out to be really nice.

Charlotte sat down across from them, and started a conversation with a guy next to her. She seemed to really like him, leaning towards him and putting her hand on his arm. But meanwhile she kept glancing at Riven every chance she got. Riven decided not to pay attention to her, and ate the leftovers of the chips.