Chapter 29

《NICK'S POV》

Nick was busy making homework, when heard his phone ring. He looked at his phone and saw that it was Charlotte. It didn't take him long to realise who she was.

He picked up the phone. "Hey, what's up?"
"Hi, I'm wondering if you could come over. It's Emily's birthday today, and I wanted to surprise her by inviting some friends."

"Sure, when should I be there?"
"Ehm... the party starts at 8, but if you don't mind you could perhaps get here a bit earlier to help us prepare everything? I asked some other friends to help but they can't make it in time."

Nick got up, and looked at the clock. It was 6 PM. "I'll be there as soon as I can, just text me the address. Also... is it okay if I take a friend with me?"
"No problem!" Charlotte said. "I mean, you're talking about Riven, right?"

"Yeah, that's right. Wow, you even remembered his name. Ehm, I guess I'll see you later then."
He hang up the phone, hesitated for a second, and then picked up his phone again.

~~~~

"I can't believe you made me do this." Riven sighed, after Nick basically forced him to go with him once again.
"It's a party! And it's for my friend, so I couldn't not go."
"Then why should I have to go with you? She's your friend, not mine."

"Gosh Riven, I still can't believe you're actually 16 years old. Who would refuse to have fun at your age?"
"My age? What the heck Nick, you're barely 17. Don't act like you're an adult, because we both know I'm the grownup person here."

"Well, you indeed do have the mental age of an 80 year old."
Riven gave him a deadly stare, but wisely decided not to respond. Over the years he had learned that staying silent usually is a better idea when Nick was in a mood like this.

Suddenly Nick realised that even if they were dating like this, Riven and he were still the same friends, that liked to embarrass and tease each other, and it made him feel a bit relieved. He didn't want to lose his friendship with Riven, even if they were dating each other.

"Don't you have to buy a present?" Riven suddenly asked.
"Nah, Charlotte asked if I could run some errands instead. She sent me a list of stuff we need to buy."
"What? You're making me go to the grocery store with you too?"

Nick grinned at the frustration visible on Riven's precious face. "You can wait in the car instead."
Riven rolled his eyes. "Fine, I'll come with you, but I hope it doesn't take too long. Also, when does the party end? We have school tomorrow."

Nick arrived at the shop and started looking for a spot to park his car. "Ehm I'm not sure, I didn't ask her."
Riven took a deep breath. "I'm wondering why I'm even surprised about that at this point."

They got out of the car, walking towards the store in silence. They got a shopping cart and started looking for the stuff they needed.
"Nick?"
"Hmm?" Nick replied to Riven's soft voice.

"So ehm... what do you think about Emily now?"
Nick turned around to put some cups into the cart. "What do you mean?"
"Well... you know, you are going to her birthday and she's your ex. So does that mean you still like her?"

Nick started laughing. "I broke up with her because I didn't like her anymore. If I still liked her, why would I have done that?"
Riven bit his lip, and then he turned his face towards Nick, so they locked eyes. "But could you start liking her again?"

Nick sighed, and walked around the cart towards Riven, after which he grabbed the boy's hand.
Riven stared at him with his big gray eyes, wondering what the hell had gotten into his best friend.
"How could I even think about liking her... when I have a boyfriend like you?"