Chapter 16

《NICK'S POV》

Nick sat down next to Riven. They were both in front of the couch, on the floor. For some reason Riven didn't want to sit on the couch apparently, and Nick didn't want to either.

Riven didn't look at Nick, but instead took a slice of his pizza salami, and started slowly eating it. "Riven? I thought you didn't like eating fast food."
Riven shrugged his shoulders, while still avoiding to look into Nick's eyes.

"I don't always cook. I just do when I feel like it, or when I have a guest, like yesterday."
"Don't you have a guest now too?" Nick reached to grab a slice too. Salami was their favorite flavour. He and Riven usually liked the same kind of food, and this time was no exception.

"I don't. You're just an intruder at this point."
Nick put his pizza down, in confusion about what exactly Riven meant. "Wait, what? Don't you like your boyfriend coming over to see you?"

He got closer to Riven, and put his arms around his boyfriend's waist, meanwhile leaning with his head against Riven's chest.
Riven said nothing. He didn't try to push Nick away, but he didn't put his arms around him either.

"Yah, Riven. Don't you think your boyfriend is the cutest?" He moved his head upwards, until he was right in front of Riven, who looked startled. His hands slowly moved around Riven's neck, while he himself leaned more towards him.

He tried to stay calm, but that was easier said than done. He was gonna kiss Riven again. Finally, he would taste Riven's lips again, feel his warmth, smell the scent of summer mixed with a bit of chocolate, something Riven couldn't get enough of, and ate every single day.

He had longed for this moment to happen ever since he kissed Riven, and now he couldn't hold it in anymore. It was time...
He took Riven's head between his hands, just like he had done the first time they kissed, and brought their faces closer to each other. He leaned in, and... Riven pushed him away, so Nick fell backwards.

Riven got up, and looked down on him with a disgusted look on his face.
"R- Riven..." Nick stumbled over his words.
"F*ck off!"
Nick hadn't seen Riven this angry in a very long time. "Riven, what's wrong?"

Riven shook his head, in utter disbelief of Nick's stupidity. "What's wrong? Hmm, I wonder what that could be...? Perhaps the fact that you basically try to rape me every time we see each other?"
Damn. Nick didn't know Riven was able to get this mad. "I was just playing around. You know what I'm like."

"No! You can't just go around treating people like that, and then just act like it's all a joke."
Nick got up too and stared at Riven, still a bit startled by his reaction. "I- I don't understand."

Riven sighed. "I'm playing the role of your boyfriend, right?"
Nick slowly nodded, not fully understanding where he was going with this.

"Then, let me explain what a real boyfriend is. Because that's not really what you're being like right now. A boyfriend is someone who will understand and respect me and what I want. Even if I'm not ready to do certain things, he will not push me to do it, but instead guide and support me to the point where I'm ready for it. For example: I'm not ready to kiss you, even if it's an act. I would like you to understand that, and patiently wait until I'm ready for it. Obviously you can help me with this, but not by kissing me without my consent. Instead, make sure that if I have to kiss you, I'm relaxed and don't feel rushed or pressured in any way. Just don't do anything I am, or even might be uncomfortable with. That's all you have to do."

It was silent for a second, but then Nick started taking. "Riven... I apologise. I'll make sure to treat you better next time. I know I might have made you feel uncomfortable, and I need to sincerely apologize for doing so. Also, I'm sorry about taking away your first kiss."

Riven looked a bit surprised, which was understandable. Nick normally wasn't like this, but he knew that if he wanted to win over Nick, he would have to put in way more effort than before. Riven wasn't like those girls, he needed a very different approach.

"Then, Riven... would you allow me to hug you?"
Riven frowned, and then took a deep breath. "I- I guess."
Nick started smiling, and pulled Riven towards him. "Don't worry, I got this." He whispered in Riven's ear.

Then, he put his arms around his boyfriend, and leaned with his chin on his shoulder. Riven stood there at first, not moving at all, but then he put his arms around Nick's waist, while getting closer to him.

Nick grinned, and moved his head a bit to the right, burying his face in Riven's blonde hair, that felt unsurprisingly soft. "Gosh, even your hair smells like chocolate."
"It's the shampoo." Riven mumbled.

Nick started laughing. This dude's obsession with chocolate seemed to become a bit unhealthy at this point.
"I'll use it in the shower tonight, so I'll smell just like you."

Riven let go off him. "No, you can't."
Nick frowned. "Why not? I'll pay you for it if you want. Didn't know you had money problems."
Riven sighed. "That's not what I mean. If you smell like me, they'll know that you slept over at my place."

Nick shrugged his shoulders, not really being able to see the problem with that. "So...? I'll make sure they won't get close enough to smell your hair anyways, I'm the only one who'll hug you, and even if they would know, why would it matter?"
Riven shook his head. "I just don't want them to know... please Nick...?"

Nick rolled his eyes. "Well, fine then. I won't wash my hair with your chocolate shampoo, okay?"
Riven smiled. "Thanks. I appreciate it a lot."
Nick was feeling a bit frustrated, but melted as soon as he saw Riven's smile.

"Then, I'll get me something to drink, you want some too?"

~~~~

Sophia smiled at the sight of Nick and Riven sitting next to each other, and took her phone out of her bag while walking towards them. Nick knew what was coming already, she had messaged him about it, but he had decided not to answer.

"Guys... Let's try out the next step in the dating life of this couple. Let's kiss!"
Nick put his drink on the table, and looked at Riven, who just sat there, clearly panicking.

Then, before Nick could answer her, he jumped up and shouted at Nick. "Seriously! You already forgot what we talked about Saturday evening?! I told you this wasn't going to happen, and now you set us up?!"

"Ohh, I think we're having a real couple fight right here! Good thing I recorded it all."
Nick grinned, and slowly got up too. "First of all, I didn't set us up. Second of all..." He turned towards Sophia "we're not gonna kiss."

Riven looked relieved, but Sophia wasn't finished yet. "You're not? I thought you two are in a relationship, but apparently I was wrong. Or... do you not want to kiss another guy, proving how disgusting this entire gay dating thing actually is."

Nick started laughing, and then reached out, to grab his boyfriend's hand. "This is not about two guys kissing each other. This is about me being a good boyfriend. A part of that is respecting my partners wishes, and if that means he doesn't want to kiss me, then I won't."

He smiled at Riven, whom seemed a bit overwhelmed. "Because I don't need to kiss him to be his boyfriend. All that is needed is that I understand and respect him. And I do."
Sophia rolled her eyes. "Seriously? Don't you wanna kiss him?"

Nick nodded. "Of course. But I also want to respect and accept his boundaries. That's way more important than anything else." He stared into Riven's eyes. "You wanna know why, Sophia?"
Sophia nodded.

"Because I love him."

《END OF THIS CHAPTER》

Bit of a short chapter, sorry for that