Chapter 66: Carpool Karaoke part 2

27th June 2018

We've just had a little sing along to Back To You, the song Louis and I collaborated on.

"So.. i'm gonna ask, even though you're always probably asked this a million times, what was it like when Zayn left the band?? I'm asking you this because the boys always divert the question and well you and Zayn are back on speaking terms" James concluded as he stopped at a traffic light.
I nodded and cleared my throat to speak "it was hard." I stated simply then carried on "it was really hard.. it was all so sudden, ya know? He didn't sit the boys down and tell them a few months before he wanted to leave. I think it was either the 24th March he told them that he was leaving the band on the 25th, or, he told the boys on the same day. And when they had their last concert, it was heartbreaking. They all at least cried once, and the fans had no clue." I say softly looking out the window at people walking by.
"Hit probably hit me and Louis quite hard. Zayn was mine and Louis' bestfriend, he meant the world to me, and it hurt a lot knowing he felt like he couldn't come to me, or Louis, to talk about the problems he was having. The boys and I didn't realise how much he was not enjoying it, obviously there's times in a job like this when you're not throughly enjoying it but when you get out on stage you realise that is why you do this job" I say to him and grab my water bottle "he left so quickly, he was having relationship problems, and he said he needed to do it to save himself and his engagement, which was understandable. He was feeling the band for a good two years, like the last two years.. and, to be fair, if he didn't like it and it wasn't him. Then that's fine. He had to do what he had to do for himself, and I fully respect that" I nod my head.

"You and Zayn fell out didn't you??" He asked, i made a face "we didn't exactly fall out, Louis asked the boys to support him down at the XFactor for his first solo performance three days after mum died, all the boys showed up—Zayn didn't. That really hurt Louis, and it hurt me too. Louis and Zayn still are on rocky roads, it's a lot harder for Louis to forgive people. But I've forgiven him, and obviously, we're both okay" I nod smiling.
"It's good how you made amends with a best friend, everyone could see when he was in the band how much he cared for you" James smiled as we drove around LA

"So tell me about 'Entertainer' what happened with that?" He asked

"Basically he called me up one day— no, well, management told me when I went for a meeting about my album that Zayn wanted to collaborate with me, as well as Ariana, and management said both Ari and Zayn will be in touch. Zayn and I had a few FaceTime calls to create the lyrics for my part of the song. And I went into the studio, recorded the song. And Zayn actually came down to London to film it, we was supposed to film it in America but he didn't want me travelling all the way down there for the music video so he brought it to me" I smiled as I explained how the track came to me.

"What was it like musically working with Zayn??"

"Aw, amazing," I say happily "he really is amazing, and I've missed him so much!!"
James glanced at me, smirking, looked away but glanced at me again quickly "is there any one else you're missing??" He smirked heavily. I laughed rolling my eyes. Here it comes.

"Apart from Louis and my family?? No, I don't think so" I shake my head trying to not smile. James laughed at me as we turned right "I think you're lying" he stated simply.
"Really??" I asked.
He nodded then chuckled, he leant froward and pressed the playlist, "you're quite the entertainer" he said making me grimace as 'Entertainer' started playing through his car speakers.

I laughed at how cringe that was "JHAHHAHAHAAAAMMMMESSSS" I laughed groaning as I shut my eyes leaning my head against the head rest. He laughed hysterically at my reaction to his cringe song reference.

"You thought you had me, didn't you?
When you lied to my face, I could see the truth
Every step with the way I knew
How you fooled me, boo
Guess you didn't know that
You were my favorite entertainer
I watch you, I laugh with and fuck with you
Don't you take me for a fool
In this game, I own the rules
You were my favorite entertainer
I watch you, I laugh and we fake it too
Don't you take me for a fool
I'ma show you a thing or two" James and I sing with Zayn's voice.

We sing to the chorus as we jam out in the car.

"His voice is so beautiful!" James commented. I nodded agreeing.

"Take it away, Anna" James joked as my part came up.

"Thought that you were smarter
I'm ashamed for youuuuu—ooouuuu
I knew it right away when you stopped lovin' me
It happened when your touch wasn't enough for me
Thought that you should know that
You were my favorite entertainer
I watch you, I laugh with and fuck with you
Don't you play me for a fool
In this game, I own the rules
You were my favorite entertainer
I watch you, I laugh and we fake it too
Don't you play me for a fooooolllll
I'ma show you a thing or two—oooohhhh" I sing with my own voice on the radio.
While James does a few adlibs making me smirk.

My voice radiated through the speaker as Zayn and I sung the chorus together on the track.
James and I sung with mine and Zayn's voice.

It was now the break down of the song, when Zayn and I harmonise which has gone viral on the internet.

"Know it's harder to take
And let's face it
No one's playing your games, coz let's face it
I'm bein' straight up
I know a fake love when I see it anyway
I'ma turn you down when you need me anyway, anyway," Zayn and I sing on the track, his voice over powering mine at certain parts of the song

"I know you nnneeeedddd me the mooooosssstttt" my voice radiates through the speaker as the harmonies start coming in.
"Comingggg, I know you need the mosstttttAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOHHHHHH"

"I know you need me the most, the most, the most" Zayn and I go real high at the end. So James and I decide to do it in the car. When James hits all the right notes my eyes gape are him "yeaaasssss!!" I praise him making him laugh.
The song ends and we both sigh happily.

"So, tell me. That song... is it about Zayn's relationship with Perrie, and yours with Liam??"
I laugh at the brutality of his question "if I'm being honest with you, I couldn't say it was about Perrie because I don't know that, I don't know for sure, but I know that when I sing it, it means a lot to me because of my past relationship. It was very true to me, the song that is, that's why I agreed to be on it"

"So if it wasn't true to you, you wouldn't of been on it??" James asked and I look at him and shake my head "no, probably not. It was always going to happen, a collaboration with Zayn, but I wanted the song to be perfect. He knows the kind of music I want to be creating so, I think that's why the first song he recommended to me was perfect. Because this is the kind of song I'd write on my own" I point to myself, throwing my hands around as i talk, just being very gesticulative, basically.

"Do you still talk to Liam??" James asked and I shook my head.
"No. Not really." I told him "I was clubbing a few months back... he was there, we talked a little but nothing huge.. he's my ex for a reason right? I don't wanna be best friends with him"
James nodded understandably "yeah, that's fair enough, who did you stay with that night then? You know, in the club?" James smirked at me from the corner of his eye. I rolled my eyes and laughed, "i knew you was going to do that!! I just knew it!" I shook my head laughing.
"In the club I stayed with Harry, yes, and Nick Grimshaw.. he was there too!" I say, telling a bit of a lie, he was there, as you know, I just didn't stay with him in the club, but it's okay to tell a little white lie sometimes.

Ew! I just referenced one of my brother's songs from the band.. it's even more gross that Harry and I made out to that song in the car: well me and him making out is not gross, obviously, he's my boyfriend, but the fact we did it to that song and I just did a accidentally reference to it makes me cringe just as bad as how I cringed at James earlier!!

"You and Harry.. you've been hanging out a lot" James said. I nodded "yeah, he's great. Omg McDonald's!" I gasp pointing at McDonald's as we drive up to it. James looks at me as he changes lanes "you want McDonald's??" He asked.
I looked at him and nodded my head excitably with poured lips "PLEAAAASSSEEEEEE!!!" I begged

He laughed and pulled into the drive through "okay okay, what do you want??" He asked.
I sat forward and cleared my throat, ready to tell him what I want.