CHAPTER TWO

As Sanem has grown up in a little Malhalla, in Istanbul, she knew her parents would pick out her groom.  She was afraid of this idea, because she was saving herself for the man she has dreamed about her whole life.   When she finished college, she was fearful that they would decide it was her time to have an arranged engagement.  Leyla is engaged to marry Osman their childhood friend.  So far, no one was talking about her engagement, and she certainly was not going to bring up that topic.

As her degree is in creative writing, she applied for a job at the advertising agency, Fikri Harika.  This is where Leyla works in the finance department.  She thought that her parents would agree, because of Leyla.  They still treated her as a child and daydreamer.

Surprisingly, she was hired immediately, as a paid intern in the company.  After three months, she would be eligible for a promotion to an assistant creative director position.   She had graduated at the top of her class at university, and had gotten wonderful recommendations from her professors.

Her first duty, much to her dismay, was making tea and coffee for everyone.  Then she had to pull records, file papers, and then organize accounts.   So far, after two weeks, she had not done anything creative.  She mainly just stayed out of the way of everyone, and did what Deren, her supervisor assigned her to do.  She actually thought this woman hated her, as she called her the other, and never her name.  Deren yells a lot, especially at Sanem.

One day when Sanem had pulled what felt like hundreds of papers, and her hands were full, Deren yelled loudly for her

One day when Sanem had pulled what felt like hundreds of papers, and her hands were full, Deren yelled loudly for her.  She jumped and dropped all of the papers.   Sanem very quickly, before Deren could come around the corner and see her, clicked her fingers and all of the papers jumped back up in order.  When Deren came around the corner, they were all neatly in order in Sanem's arms.  Deren started yelling, "Where have you been, are those in the right order, bring them to the conference room now."  Sanem did not say a word, and just followed her to the conference room.  They passed CeyCey on the way, and he just grinned at Sanem.  

What Sanem did not know was that, the boss Can Divit was walking down the hall

What Sanem did not know was that, the boss Can Divit was walking down the hall.  He had heard the yell, saw the papers falling, and had turned his head for just a second to look for his phone.  When he looked back up, Sanem was standing there with all of the papers in her hands neatly.  He shook his head as if to clear it, and decided he must have imagined what he thought he saw.  He actually wondered who this girl was anyway, as he had never met her before.  Had Deren hired a new employee?

When he got into the conference room, she was stacking the papers on the end of the table.   He asks her, "What is your name and do you work here?"  She replied, "I am Sanem, and yes I am an intern, hoping to be a creative director assistant one day."  She just stood respectfully while he ask her questions, about how long she had worked there, and what was she doing pulling files.

Deren came in for the last questions, and replied for her, "She is an intern, and has not been to college, so we are using her for all kinds of things."

CeyCey said to Deren, as he came in behind her, "Yes, Sanem has been to college and graduated top of her class, and has a degree in creative writing.  I looked up her records, and put them on your desk when she started work.   I haven't understood why you have sent her to the file room so much."

Deren said, "Oh, I didn't see them but we need somebody to run errands, and make tea, coffee anyway.  Sanem go make tea for Can Bey and coffee for everyone else."

Can said, "No, I think it's time we use Sanem in the job we hired her to do.   Sanem have a seat and be prepared to add any ideas you have to our discussion."

As Deren very quickly sat down very close to Can, CeyCey had Sanem sit down beside him further down the table.   Sanem was thinking, why did Ms. Deren lie about knowing her qualifications?

Deren said, "Now who is going to make my coffee?"  CeyCey replied, "I ask the actual bring and take girl to bring drinks for all of us, she has not had a lot to do recently.  Here she is now."

After everyone had settled, and discussions started on an account that Sanem had pulled all of the papers for, a perfume company

Can did notice that Sanem listened intently, but did not contribute to the discussions.  She had pulled a notebook and pen from her pocket.  She was continuously writing and drawing, but did not say anything.  He noticed CeyCey look over at her paper and do a double take.  CeyCey started motioning for Sanem to speak up, but she just shook her head no.

After a few minutes, when no one else had any ideas, Can said, "Sanem may I see the notebook you are writing in?"  He saw CeyCey elbow Sanem and she gave CeyCey a frowning look.  Can did try to hide his grin as he reached for the notebook.

When he turned back to the first page, he was surprised to see a drawing of an older woman and a young girl working at a table

When he turned back to the first page, he was surprised to see a drawing of an older woman and a young girl working at a table.  There were pictures of flowers and plants all around the edge of the paper.  The next page was cute little bottles with liquid in them, with more flowers.  The last page was a store with a young woman and child shopping and smelling bottles.   Written across the top of the page was "Family Tradition."  Can looked over at Sanem and she looked back shyly.

Can turned to show Deren the notebook and she looked shocked.  He said, "Deren, Sanem needs to be given a desk and computer to work at, and this will be presented to our new clients as our campaign idea.  Is that okay with you Sanem?"   He then proceeded to tell everyone in the room the ideas Sanem had drawn.  Everyone clapped and said wonderful ideas.

Can ask Sanem how she got the idea, and she replied, "When I was pulling files, I remembered the name of the new client, and looked up their history.  I learned it all started from family recipes handed down for generations, that is where I got these ideas.  In addition, this is a tradition in my family, as I make creams and perfumes from family recipes.  I am so sorry Ms. Deren this is why it took me longer to pull the files."

Deren replied, "No, no keep thinking of these wonderful ideas and we will get along great." Shortly after the meeting was over, CeyCey took Sanem out to the main office area and assigned her a desk and computer beside him.