December 20th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I love you.

Today was so lovely. The world just felt right. It’s funny how in winter you randomly get those days where the sky’s completely empty and a really bright blue and it looks just like summer. It’s still really cold but it doesn’t feel quite as cold because everything’s so lit up.

I bet even though people think they want to live somewhere warm really if they lived somewhere brighter that would make them happy enough. Although I guess there are probably some places that are freezing but still quite bright all the time. I just mean I think when people stick their head out the door and see blue sky it cheers them up a bit. It does for me anyway.

I was a bit early today and noticed a guy standing outside Starbucks with his dog. I don’t know why they always stop there. I guess maybe he was waiting for someone in a shop that dogs aren’t allowed in.

I don’t know what kind of dog it was. It was the shape of a dalmatian but didn’t look anything like one. It was brown. I saw a couple of kids playing with the dog. It wasn’t barking or anything which surprised me because the kids were being pretty annoying. The owner didn’t seem too bothered either so I guess he knew the dog could be trusted with kids.

I went in and sat down in my chair and then I had an idea. I wanted to be outside in the light anyway and I remembered how much you loved dogs. I got up and decided to stand outside.

I walked up and down a few times pretending to be looking for someone or somewhere. I walked around a bin and saw you coming from the other end of the high street. I backed up a bit to try and time it right. I started walking straight towards the dog and started stroking it. It leapt up a bit at first which kind of scared me but then the owner tugged it down and smiled at me. He said something to me but I didn’t hear what it was. I just kept stroking it behind the ear and watching you out of the corner of my eye.

You were with one of your friends I’ve seen before. You saw me stroking the dog and came straight over to me. It was wonderful. You reached to stroke the dog and caressed my hand. It was heavenly. I smiled at you and you smiled back. Your friend called you inside and said something about you stopping for every dog you see. You laughed. I thought that was kind of you. There was no need for her to make a big deal of us sharing a perfect moment like that. It’s not your fault she doesn’t have anyone.

I came in right behind you and your friend held the door open for me which was nice. Then she stood between us in the queue which was a bit annoying. I didn’t mind though. She was clearly a bit jealous. We’d already had our moment anyway.

You smiled at me again on the way out. I was at the front of the queue when you turned to leave and I completely forgot what I was meant to be doing. I ended up not even getting a drink. I just told them not to worry and I ran outside and watched you head back down the high street. You looked beautiful. Even from the back. I thought it was a shame you had to go back to work but I hope seeing me at least helped you get through the afternoon.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew