September 30th

I love you.

It’s funny. Every song I hear reminds me of you.

When I was younger I used to have a guitar but it broke after a couple of months and I never bothered to fix it. I didn’t want to tell my mum it was broken and I couldn’t fix it myself. I broke it by accident. I don’t really remember how.

I wasn’t any good at it but it’s something I’d learn again if you’d like it. Music is the sort of thing that helps you when you feel lonely. The best thing is I’m not going to be lonely anymore because I can share everything with you.

I’ve always liked Led Zeppelin. They’re one of my favourites. I think my dad used to like them but I don’t think I knew who they were when he lived here. Some people don’t get what’s so good about them but I know you would. Everyone has heard Stairway To Heaven at least. It’s always voted the best song ever or the best guitar solo ever and it’s one of the only things people don’t get wrong in big votes like that. It’s beautiful and powerful and does so much. I’d love to be able to play a song like that.

I think a lot of guys learn to play guitar to get girls to like them. I don’t think you can play guitar very well if you’re just interested in girls. I’ve never been like that. I only wanted a guitar because the songs I like have always been there for me and I wanted to be able to feel them a bit more. I’ve never been bothered about impressing girls. I didn’t need to be. I have you. You’re what I was waiting for.

I’m listening to Stairway To Heaven now. The woman in the song makes me think of you. The gentle parts make me think of how graceful you are. When it all builds up it’s like the excitement I feel seeing you come through the door. I can’t listen to the song without thinking of the story behind it. The guitarist in Led Zeppelin was into satanism and things like that. I don’t want you thinking I’m into weird things like that though. I’m not. I just think it’s interesting. I like the stories.

There’s a verse in the song that sounds different to the others. The words don’t seem to follow the same pattern and the vocals seem a bit out of place. It says there are two paths you can go down and sometimes words have two meanings. And then if you think of the opposite of a stairway to heaven it’s a stairway down to hell. The second path you can take and the way the words can have two meanings is by playing the song the other way round. When you listen to it backwards you hear all these other things. You hear them say 666.

The first time I looked up all the words to it on the internet I found all this other stuff. I ended up spending a whole night reading about all the stuff behind the words. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable so I try not to think about it too much. I can’t help it sometimes though. It is interesting but it’s not why I like it. It’s just good anyway.

Still I think it’s good to know if there’s something really dark like that hidden in something you like just so it doesn’t take you by surprise one day. It’s nice to have someone to share all this stuff with now. I’m so lucky.

I like lots of different kinds of music. Not just Led Zeppelin. Not the stuff you hear on the radio either. That’s meaningless music. I like Joy Division but not New Order. I like Alice in Chains and Nirvana. On the internet everyone who likes those bands likes Pearl Jam and Soundgarden too but they don’t interest me as much. I always liked Amy Winehouse. I like Robert Johnson and the early Rolling Stones too. I like Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. All sorts of things really. It’s not the stuff you see on music channels but it’s always been important to me.

I can’t wait to play you all my favourite songs. I’m sure you’ll know lots of them already. I know you have a great taste in music.

Think of all the songs we could play at our wedding. There are just so many. I’ll probably be up all night thinking of different songs that would go perfectly. It’s silly really because I need to sleep. I need to be up early for the start of the new week. I can’t help it though. I just find it all so exciting.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew