February 7th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I missed you today. It’s ok though. The calendar warned me. There was a question mark after your name for today. I knew we might not see each other.

I think it shows that all those things we agreed on really do help. We must tell each other if we’re not going to be somewhere we’re expected to be. We must tell each other where we expect to be and put it on the calendar so we know when we’re not going to be together. We must look after each other when we’re ill. We both know I know you’re only in from Monday to Wednesday at the moment so that counts as you having told me.

I waited until two just in case. Starbucks didn’t look good. I was glad you weren’t there. It’s still a special place for us but sometimes the people in there don’t look quite right. They don’t look trustworthy.

I sat there reading the paper reading all the bad news. There were crashes and bad weather and people dying and all stuff like that. It was all in places that I knew you weren’t so it didn’t really matter to me.

Once I made sure you weren’t coming in I decided to go wander round the shops for a bit. I wanted to get you something for next week. It was raining a but I didn’t mind.

I went looking at dresses and found a really nice one. It’s a dark blue colour. Kind of like your car.

I’d been in a couple of shops before I found anything worthwhile. Most of the dresses I saw on the mannequins didn’t look right at all. I ignored dresses that were just on hangers. If a shop wasn’t showing off a dress in the window then I knew it wasn’t special enough for you.

I was walking out of one place when I saw a dress in the window of the shop opposite. I went straight in. I asked a woman if she could find me the one in the window. She took me over to it. She asked what size I wanted it in. I picked one up and held it out and decided it looked a good fit for you. I told her you were very slim and she agreed the one I’d picked would probably fit you nicely. She asked if it was for a special occasion. Then she laughed and said she made that joke to every man who came in the week before Valentine’s. I told her that the dress was just a present and I wasn’t like those other men. I told her I don’t need an excuse to do something nice for you.

I reserved the dress. I can pick it up any time in the next seven days. The woman told me if I didn’t have a car I shouldn’t take it home today because of all the rain. I agreed that that made sense. I only want to give it to you in perfect condition.

I won’t tell you how much it cost because I don’t want you getting mad about it. I think when I give it to you though you won’t be worried about how much it cost. I think you’ll really like it.

Really it was ok I didn’t see you today. I’d have rather been with you but at least I was prepared for not seeing you. I’m prepared for tomorrow too in case I don’t see you then. The calendar lets me know. It says Sophia but it’s got a question mark after it. I hope you see how useful that is now.

Every time I look at the calendar I double check and count the number of days. Valentine’s is next Thursday. That’s so soon. I’ll have to get everything sorted this week. At least I got some good things done today.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew