February 2nd

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I’ve been trying to work stuff out today. I know it’s my job to take care of us. It’s my job to provide for us.

I know being a good provider doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a good person either. My dad used to earn lots of money but he had two women on the go at once. He wasn’t a good person. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try to be a good provider though.

When we were really young my parents paid off the mortgage on this house. That’s why I know I can stay here as long as I want and not worry. I remember them celebrating buying the house and I was confused because we’d lived here for years already. I didn’t understand how we’d been living in a house we didn’t own. I was only young then but to be honest I still don’t really understand that. We don’t have to worry about it anyway. This house is ours.

I’ve been thinking lots about how my mum always wanted to pay the bills herself when my dad left. I’m not even sure what he actually did for a living. I just know it was in the city. He’d leave early in the morning and get back late at night. Whenever he talked about work nothing about it seemed to really mean anything. He must have earned decent money though. Not that that matters.

It’s less than a couple of weeks now until you move in. I’ve been working everything out so we’ll be really comfortable. It’s important to be comfortable but I know if we were poor we’d still be happy.

They had a version of Romeo and Juliet on T.V today. I kind of watched it while I was on the sofa. I was a bit sleepy so I think I nodded off while it was on.

From what I saw it was better than the one they made us watch at school. It was really colourful and more exciting like a modern film. At school we had to watch this old black and white version that was just some people doing it like a play. It was really boring.

It’s funny because even though we fell in love the second we met I don’t think we’re anything like Romeo and Juliet. I don’t know why people think it’s a romantic story. It’s not. They clearly don’t love each other really. They’re just kids who don’t know any better. At the start of the film Romeo is in love with some other girl. I’ve never loved anyone but you. If Romeo and Juliet hadn’t died Romeo probably would’ve got bored and moved onto someone else in a couple of weeks. That’s not real love. I love you and only you and only ever you. They just seemed silly and reckless. That’s not romantic.

That’s why I’m making sure we’re going to be comfortable. We’re going to be together forever and I want to make sure nothing bad or unexpected happens to us. If we’re already prepared for everything then we’ll never have to worry about anything.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew