October 16th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

Sometimes I feel like nobody but us is living the right kind of life.

I wonder how many relationships that still exist out there in the world came together really flimsily somewhere like Starbucks. I wonder how many were ended there too. Or began to end. I think that must have been the end of a relationship today. As far as I can tell rocky relationships like that sometimes drag on and on and on because both people are too weak to break free and start a new life of their own.

I don’t get how someone could take abuse like that and just forget about it later. I don’t get how people can think abuse like that is part of a real relationship. I just don’t get it at all. I’d want you to guide me or advise me if I was ever doing something wrong or upsetting you. Of course I would. But I wouldn’t want you swearing at me. Or threatening me. I can’t imagine that ever happening. I’d never ever swear at you.

Just before you got there it looked like she was really going to hurt him. When she stormed past you I hope she didn’t catch you at all. I couldn’t really see what happened but you didn’t look too put out by it. I was a bit worried that if the guy turned round and chased after her you would be right in the middle of them.

Everyone was listening to them. They were being so loud it was pretty hard not to listen to them. Everyone wants to hear things like that anyway. Everyone thinks it’s their right to be nosy and to comment on everyone else. It’s like seeing a real life Jeremy Kyle and people love that. People want to judge. It makes them feel better.

I bet life used to be a lot harder. I bet everyone used to struggle loads more. People used to have to work hard for every meal and they appreciated every break from all that. That was when they had superheroes in movies. People wanted to escape and they wanted dreams and they wanted to imagine they could do these amazing things. Then people got more comfortable but they didn’t get any happier. They needed to judge other people to feel better about being comfortable. That’s why soaps are so popular. It’s like looking at their life in one of those carnival mirrors that makes you look all funny. It kind of looks exactly the same but it’s also really warped and weird. It’s all dramatic and full of fighting and screaming. It means people can say to each other they can’t believe this person did this and that person did that.

Just before she stormed off I heard her say to him that he doesn’t show her enough respect. That sounds like a line straight out of some T.V show she saw.

I think that’s why reality shows are so popular now. It’s why people like facebook and twitter. People like to think their minor dramas are major dramas and they need to be able to broadcast them. They think if whatever is happening to them has an audience then it must be important. No-one admits that problems are their own fault or that their problems aren’t really problems at all.

That couple were just clearly in a terrible relationship. I see it all the time in Starbucks. It’s like that couple the other day trying to argue without anyone noticing. They can’t help but argue but they don’t want to admit it’s happening.

Today they just couldn’t keep it quiet. They’re no different to lots of other people. If we ever disagreed on anything I know we would deal with it so much better than that. I don’t know how it can ever get to that stage. They didn’t look drunk or on drugs or anything. Sometimes that could make things worse I guess. That wasn’t the case with them though. Things were just naturally that bad.

I swear every day on the high street I see rows and rows of unhappy couples going about. It’s like they can’t stand being near each other. It’s like they don’t know what can happen. I don’t know why they don’t realise they can escape and find a perfect love like ours. I know we’re lucky. I know we’re special. But we prove it can be done. We should be an example to all of them that true love exists and it’s totally worth it. Only true love is worth it. That’s what they need to realise. It shouldn’t be a hassle. It shouldn’t be loads of effort. It’s not old fashioned either. It’s just completely right. That’s what we have and I’m so thankful for that.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew