Chapter twelve

"Now, now. You aren't as stupid as I thought you were."

"Tobias, what is going on?" I asked with such venom, it dripped from my mouth. "I've wanted to talk to you, but I never really got the chance to."

As he stepped closer, I took a step back. I was backed up against the wall after a while, much to my dismay. "Don't come any closer." I threatened.

He simply laughed and said,"Oh Elle. If you only knew. I'm not here to hurt you, and frantically I'm not interested in you. At all."

I looked at him with pure and utter disgust. "So, are you just using me? Did somebody pay you to get back at Zachary? Is this some sort of sick joke? Because believe me, Zac will find you."

"Is that so, Elle? Then how come on a vacation with him, you're with another man? He isn't here, is he? He hasn't even called you yet. You see, this is why I needed to talk some sense into you." He was almost spitting on me at his proximity.

"Why, Tobias? Why do you have those pictures?" I cried while lifting up the photo album. He snatched it from me and paged to the first page.

"You see in this baby photo, you are lying in your cot at the hospital." He pointed to my tiny figure in the picture, inside a room full of other newborn babies. I was wearing pink, and there was a label stating my name and surname.

"But, look to your right."

A lump in my throat started to rise.

"No."

I took the book and threw it against the wall. "No!"

Tobias kept on talking with glistening eyes. "I'm your brother. I am the baby in blue with the same surname as you in that picture. We are twins, Elle. As much as you don't believe it, I'm sure you can ask mom the truth."

"Mom wouldn't lie to me. She wouldn't. And dad? Dad was a honest man. He would've told me before he.. passed."

"I knew you felt the familiarity when we met. I could see your mind trying to find out if we've met before." He picked up the little book and placed it on the bedside table. "The reason why I have those pictures, is because I was trying to be in your life but not really. I don't know if it makes any sense."

"But anyways, mom and dad couldn't afford two kids. They didn't expect twins, and because they'd always wanted a girl they kept you." He wiped away at his cheek. Was he crying?

"I'm really glad you know, and I'm really an accountant, and I'm really here on business. I just needed motivation to come, and you were my motivation."

"Tobias, I'm so sorry about this." I interrupted him, still crossing my arms and trapped against the wall. I couldn't move.

"Don't be, Elle. I've lived an amazing life with my adoption parents. They've given me everything I've wanted, but I never knew they weren't really my parents. They just never looked like me, and I thought that didn't matter."

He walked out of the room, but before he left he spoke again. "Us, on the other hand. We look alike. We aren't identical twins, but we are close enough."

"What if we kissed? Do you know how wrong that would've been?" I asked him with a chuckle. He simply shook his head and said, "This isn't The Mortal Instruments."

"Well, for your information: Clary and Jace aren't actually brother and sister." I bit back humorously.

"Oh, and Elle?" I looked up at him again, standing in the doorway. "Yes?"

"You should probably get that." And with those last few words, he left. I was frowning, not understanding what he meant until I came back to my senses. My phone was ringing. Had I not heard it?

Zac's name flashed on the screen, and I felt the urge to groan. "Hello?"

"My god Elle! I have called about fifteen fricken times and left about fourteen messages! Where the hell are you?!" I had to keep the phone a distance from my ear at his yelling.

"Zac, calm down. I'm at my brother's."

He was silent for a few seconds, before it began again. "Brother's? Do you have a brother now?!"

"Yes. Tobias Parker. Twin brother actually."

"Holy crap." He muttered. "When did you know this?"

"Well, until a few minutes ago." I chuckled, but he stayed silent.

"As in, Tobias Parker..My biggest competition? He doesn't like me that much." He said very quietly.

"Yes. That's definitely him."

"Oh my, Elle. Do you want me to come pick you up? I just..You just gave me such a fright. I've already lost you twice before, and when I came home and you weren't there, I started to panic. I thought you'd gone out clubbing, and maybe somebody drugged you. I'm just so glad you're safe, Elle."

"Zac, we really need to talk."

"Oh. Not the talk." He said while I heard shuffling and then a door slamming. He probably just climbed inside of his car.

"It's not that. I want to ask you about something I've heard." I mumbled.

He was silent for a while before asking, "What is it?" And before I knew it, I was asking him about the british model.