Chapter five

Little Love Postcards
_________________

Chapter five

Have you ever felt a certain expectancy that you are in trouble?

Not just when you sneaked out of the house or disobeyed your parents.

This time because your mom thinks you are depressed and you didn't come home for the whole day.

Well, let me tell you when I entered the house, three pairs of eyes were staring at me deeply. At first I thought I was probably going to get grounded as a nineteen year old.

But then something peculiar happened. My mom threw her arms around me and sobbed. I was astonished. She had no reason to be in tears.

She kept crying while Luke had taken bites of the nuggets I brought home as a piece offering. But he ignored me completely.

"Aren't you going to eat something?" Ally asked as I seated myself around our dining room table. I shook my head, remembering I had a date in a few hours.

I peaked at my mom, who now had smudged lines under her eyes. I wanted to ask if she was okay. I wanted to ask her what was wrong, but knowing by her posture, I could see now wasn't the right time. She was always fairly emotional and I've learnt out of previous times.

"So, young lady,you better tell us where you ran off to?" Luke said between dipping the crusted nugget and taking a bite. "Well, I went to the café and then to school."

"Wha- School?!" He almost spat his food out, which made me chuckle.

"I just thought it could get my mind off things, you know?" And then it went completely silent. Nobody could say a word. I knew they were thinking about Zac moving on, but no one had the courage to speak their minds.

"Where is grandma?" I asked, afraid to go upstairs and be attacked by cruel and harsh words. It's not that she was a bad person, she just made you crumble by pointing out you flaws. Like some Columbians do.

"She is asleep, darling." I was surprised that my mom spoke. Her voice was still raspy from crying. "Well I have to get dressed, so excuse me." I pushed my chair back, but before I could dart into the hallway, a warm hand rapped around my arm and pulled me back.

"Why do you have to get dressed, missy?" Luke's eyebrows shot up and pulled together.

I laughed at him being overprotective. "I have a date.." I quietly answered. Suddenly, Ally's eyes widened and she stood up from her chair. "With who?!"

I only smirked and took in her reaction. "It can't be Zac.." She remarked.

"Elle," Luke looked at me skeptically. "Who is it?"He also emphasized the words.

I squealed under his grip and ran up the stairs when I managed to get free. Somehow when I locked my bedroom door, I knew that they were't gonna let it go.

I was right, because seconds later constant banging emerged from the door, giving me quite a fright. "Elle Parker!"

This was certainly very amusing.

"You unlock this door right now young missy! You will not be going on a date anytime soon,okay!" Luke's frustrated breathing sounded after he spoke.

"Nobody deserves you Elle! They treat you like shit, and I feel a very urgent need to protect you. You'll find somebody great, just don't go make other useless guys, rebounds."

I frowned at him even though he couldn't see me. "Rebounds? And who do you suppose my prince charming is if you keep him away from me!" I stood my ground on the other side of the door. Luke had no right to stop me from trying to move on. I'll never know if I don't try.

"I- your prince charming is right before your eyes Elle, yet you can not see him." His voice dropped volume. It made me want to unlock the door and comfort him.

I heard his feet shuffle away and dropped down on my bed. I don't think going to dinner with Conner is such a bad idea. I would love to catch up with him. I don't even know if he remembers the memories he lost from the coma.

By the time I finished brushing my lashes with mascara, a knock on the door sounded. I hesitantly unlocked it, peaking to see if Luke wanted to harass me with comments. Much to my relief, Ally pushed the door open.

"You didn't tell me it was Conner," She pointed her finger at me. "How did you.."

"Oh please, the poor guy looks like a lost puppy in your living room." She smiled sweetly while I turned to face the mirror.

"Do you think this is fine?" I insecurely asked. She nodded approvingly at my ripped shorts and crop top.

"I think I know where he is taking you," She rummaged in my closet, pulling out a long cardigan.

"You do? Is my outfit suitable?"

"He is taking you to the carnival. I overheard him speaking to your mother about it." She said, while placing my arms in the jersey."Oh, and make sure you are wearing your red lace underwear."

I swat her on the arm as she winks at me, strolling down the stairs.

Carnival? I can't help but chuckle at his choice of setting. He probably didn't want to make it too formal, or too much of a deal out of the date.

But it doesn't seem to fit. A teacher and a college student going to a fair?