Final Chapter

"Now we're young enough to try to build a better life."

Mars ~ Sleeping At Last.

° ° ° °

I open the front door to be greeted my ryder in a classic leather jacket, black jeans and a pale white hoodie.

I immediately close the door and jump into his arms. "I missed you asshole."

"I missed you too B." he hugs me back tighter.

"I have so much to tell you, you have no idea!" I exclaim as we pull away from the hug.

"Me too." he intertwines his fingers with mine as we walk to my car.

"I got good and bad news, which one do you want first?" l ask, pulling out my car keys and letting go of his hand to unlock it.

"Umm, the good news." he smirks.

"Okay, someone's in a good mood. What happened?" l ask.

"No no no, you tell me your news first." he says as l toss him the keys. "You're letting me drive your car?"

"Yeah, l mean l don't really feel like it and l don't know the hospital either so why not?" l smile.

I never let anyone even think of driving my car no matter what the circumstances are so this was a little odd, even to me. I don't know why but l feel like l can trust him enough to let him drive.

He laughs in disbelief before we both hop into the vehicle.

"You were saying?" he starts up the car.

"Oh yeah, guess what?" l buckle my seatbelt as he begins to drive.

"Uhhh Alex gave you his dog?" he chuckles knowing I'm obsessed with animals.

"Pfft, I wish." l roll my eyes.

"Then what is it?" he asks.

"Raleigh talks now!" l say enthusiastically.

"She does?"

"Yeah!"

"Oh.." he mumbles with a look on his face that l can't fully read, it's a mix of happiness and sadness.

"She told me that she was never mad at you, just hurt. I explained to her the best l could that it's not what she thinks it is and she said she forgives you and she misses you too." l explain. "I would've let you talk to her before we left but she was a little tired and fell asleep a few minutes ago so l didn't want to wake her up. But when we get back she'll probably be awake, you can try and talk to her then."

"I-I don't know how you managed to do it but damn, thank you." he says pulling onto the main road.

"Yeah, of course." l mutter. "Look, I know it bothers you a little that she spoke to me first not you but try not to take it personally alright? The girl is six, I can only imagine what it must be like for her to get everything sorted out in her head at that age."

"Yeah, I know..."

I stay silent, waiting for him to go on.

"I just feel like l could've done more."

"No, ryder, you were thirteen. You're not supposed to even have to think about shit like that at thirteen, what you did was probably the smartest and most logical thing you could've done."

"Yeah, you're probably right..." he mutters.

"You ruined the mood Ry, come on cheer up!" I whine. "I would probably punch your shoulder right now or something to get a reaction out of you but you're driving my car and l don't feel like getting played by my insurance company again."