70 - Detroit PD.

"I've been high and I've been low, I've spent a thousand nights alone trying to hold on tight. Feelings come but they won't go, please won't someone take me home before l lose my mind."

Broken ~ Anson Seabra.

° ° ° °

"W-What do you mean he has a gun?!" l stutter

"Look, we have to get out of here right now."

"How?! There are no windows!"

"Fuck, l don't know!"

"Hold on." l say and dig in my pocket for my phone, praying that it didn't fall out.

Once l get a hold of it l dial 911.

"They won't get here in time!" eli says and l try to ignore the thought as he looks around for something.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"T-There's a man trying to break down the door and h-he has a gun you have to hurry!" l whisper-yell.

"Okay sweetie calm down, what's your name?"

"Laynie."

"Okay laynie is there anyone in the room with you?"

"Yes, u-um my friend eli."

"Okay how old are you both?"

"Sixteen."

"Okay can you tell me your address?"

"I don't know!" l blink my tears away and turn to eli in a hurry "Eli do you know the adress?"

He takes the phone from me and tells the dispatcher the adress followed by a description of the situation.

In the meantime l stand up and arrange a lot of boxes and other old furniture in front of the book shelf.

The sound of eli's dad coming back makes me nauseous as l quickly climb over the arranged furniture and behind the book shelf where eli is still on the line with the dispatcher.

I quickly arrange the books in front of us on the book shelf in a way where they form a shield, hoping the would block out the bullet if he does come back with the gun.

"I'll give you one last chance, open this fucking door!" the man yells.

Eli motions for me to shush as we both hide behind the books.

With both of us curled up in each other's arms eli whispers to the dispatcher that they have to hurry.

With one last bang, the sound of a gunshot echoes through the room causing both of us to flinch as l keep my hand on my mouth to stop me from screaming.

Light fills the room as the door breaks open and we both squeeze each other tighter.

"You can't hide for long. Stupid kids." he growls, the sound of his heavy footsteps filling the silent room as we both keep our hands against our mouths to keep us from breathing too loud.

Eli hangs up the phone to prevent any noise from coming through it and luckily l always have my phone on silent meaning that he probably didn't hear the phone shut off.

"Come out or l swear I'll fucking shoot you both right now!" his words are followed by a gunshot to the wall, thankfully the wall opposite of ours.

I hold eli's hand with my free one and we exchange looks.

His eyes are red and his face is bruised and bleeding from the punches.

"You have no where to hide now, I'll find you one way or another." the old man spits out, moving the boxes away from the book shelf.