41 - Calm.

The Knife In My Back ~ Alec Benjamin

° ° ° °

Turns out, my dumbass broke the goddamn stitches so Lidia had to do them again, of course I was on anesthetics but it still hurt like a bitch.

I didn't scream, somehow managing to keep my emotions inside, but l bit my lip so hard that l only stopped when l started tasting blood in my mouth.

Ryder tried to distract me from it but l could barely breath, having such a low pain tolerance that the littlest sting can leave me crying and out of breath.

Lidia wraps up the wound once again and sends me off on my way.

I get up as Ryder does and slowly follow him out the door, "Thanks, again."

"Anytime, try not to be an idiot next time." he smirks.

"Are you kidding me? You can't tell someone that their life is in danger and that you quote 'took care'  of their family and expect them not to freak out!" l exclaim.

He simply shrugs as we step into the elevator.

Let me repeat that, he just shrugs.

"Ryder please would you just tell me what the fuck is going on!" I stomp my foot, immediately regretting it afterwards as the pain shoots up my whole leg but I don't show it.

The elevator doors open and he steps outside with me following closevbehind.

He sighs in defeat "Remember the night somebody broke into your house, when Alex got stabbed?"

"Hold on, how do you know about that?" I ask.

"I have my ways. That's not the problem right now, that same guy is, as crazy as it sounds, after you and your friends. Your family isn't exactly his top priority so they're safe, l had them take the precautions needed so you don't need to worry about them. End of discussion." he proceeds to walk outside of the mansion.

"Seriously? That's it? That's all you're going to tell me?"

"Yes, I said no questions."

"Okay sure, but who even is that guy?"

"The name's Edith Dankworth."

Hold on a second there, Dankworth?

As in the Dankworth?

"Wait hold on here, you mentioned a guy named Ace before, Ace Dankworth. Are they related?" l ask.

"What part of 'end of discussion' are you not getting here?"

"Ryder I'm serious!"

"So am I. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." he orders the guards to open the gates and walks me out of them.

I unlock my car and pull out his washed sweater, "Fine, I'll figure it out myself. Thanks for the sweater."

He takes it and nods with his signature smirk plastered on before turning around and walking back into his house.

"l swear to God one day l might fucking claw that smirk off your face." I huff before starting my car and driving off.

As I pull back onto the main road I take a moment to process what had just happened.

So I'm leaving tomorrow morning for God knows how long to one of Ryder's safe houses.

What about school?

And Hunter?

My mother?

"Wait.." I think outloud as the realization hits me.

Ryder only said Alex, Eli and l are in danger, he never mentioned Blair.

I know for a fact something's going on between these two and if he won't tell me, I'll figure it out myself.

After nearly an hour of driving, l park outside of Alex's house and hop out of the car before making my way to his front door.

"Hey Laynie." he opens the door.

"I'm assuming Ryder already told you." I step inside.

"Yeah, he did." he mumbles, walking into the kitchen.

"And? How are you so calm about this?" I ask in frustration.

This whole thing is getting on my last nerve.

"What can we really do about it?" he shrugs.

"So we're really leaving tomorrow?" he hands me a bowl of strawberries.

"I guess." he takes a strawberry and eats it.

"Seriously? What about your dad?"

"What about him?"

"You're just gonna leave him?!"

"I didn't tell him, he wouldn't let me if I did. I'll leave him a note tomorrow morning before we go." he sits on the counter top.

Is he actually serious right now?

How is he so damn calm about this?

If he's calm that means he's somehow involved in this mess... The Alex I know would never let us go.

I won't bother asking, I'll find out myself.

"You know what? Fine, tomorrow it is." I place the bowl down on the counter top. "I'll see you then." I turn around and make my way back to his front door.

"Wait, are you alright?" he hops off the counter and follows me.

"Yeah, I'm fantastic. See you." I don't give him time to say anything as I unlock my car and hop in before driving back to my house.

As l take a left turn on the familiar streets of my neighbourhood, I start to feel the emptiness grow heavier and heavier, leaving me unable to breath properly.

The weight of everything hits me all at once and as if switched on by a button, my eyes automatically start watering.

"You don't know anything, okay? Why are you even crying right now you don't know the whole story. Just calm down Laynie. Calm the fuck down." I tell myself out loud.

Alex is involved in this. Whatever it is, my best friend is involved in it and l had no idea.

He didn't tell me.

I thought l could trust him. He was the only one I actually trusted in this entire fucking world.

I pull onto the side of the road when my breathing only seems to get worse and the tears make it harder to focus on the road.

° ° ° °

Welp this just got intense really quickly, l didn't want to write an A/N on this one to keep you in Laynie's mindset but l can't believe it

Welp this just got intense really quickly, l didn't want to write an A/N on this one to keep you in Laynie's mindset but l can't believe it. GROUP THERAPY HIT 3.19K TODAY!!!!! Thank you all so fucking much for the overwhelming amount of support and love I've been getting on this shitty book for the past few days.

You guys have no idea how much this means to me. Writing is the only thing that still manages to make me- for lack of better words -less depressed, and for it to receive the incredible amount of support that it's getting is beyond what l can describe. Thank you.

Lots of love to all you beautiful souls, Sera xxx 🖤🖤🖤