35 - Life Isn't Fair

𝚁𝚢𝚍𝚎𝚛'𝚜 𝙿𝙾𝚅

✘ ✘ ✘

"You've left me no choice Iron Man, sorry not sorry."

Before l can even process what she means by that and why the hell did she just call me Iron Man, the mattress rises indicating she'd just got up and almost immediately a splash or freezing cold water knocks the air out of my lungs.

The temperature of the water makes me gasp for air "What the fuck Laynie?!"

"Hey, it worked! You're up. Well, breakfast is ready in five. Bye." she giggles and runs out of the room.

My father isn't around, might as well enjoy the last few hours of freedom i have.

"Not so fast." l get up and run after her, before she can even leave the room l pick her up and throw her over my shoulder.

"Hey, no! Put me down asshole!"

"Not before you pay for what you did." l laugh as l make my way out of the room and into Blair's backyard, everyone in the kitchen giving us judgmental looks as we pass.

"Guys help me!!" she tries to hold on to the door leading to the backyard but I pull her away.

"Ryder no, what are we doing in the backyard?"

"A wise woman once told me, you've left me no choice, sorry not sorry." I qoute her words.

"No... You wouldn't dare. Put me down, now."

And with that being said, the last thing l hear from her is her screaming "Ryder I'm fully clothed!-" before l throw her into Blair's pool that is most likely freezing at this hour.

An amused smile spreads across my face as l cross my arms, watching her struggle to get her wet hair out of her face.

"What the hell Ryder? I could've had my phone in my pocket!"

"Not my problem."

"You're going to pay for this." she glares at me before climbing out of the pool.

"We'll see" l mumble before turning my back on her and walking back into Blair's house.

That'll teach her a lesson.

Before l can make it farther than three steps, I'm jerked back and the cold water meets my skin once again.

I find my way to the surface of the freezing water before wiping the water away from my eyes and coughing the bit that got in my lungs.

How the fuck did he manage to pull me back? She's the size of a chicken compared to me.

Now Eli, Alex and even Blair are all in the backyard watching with wide smiles.

I spot laynie standing at the edge of the pool smirking at me thinking she'd won this, thinking.

"Alright fine, you won." l lie, pushing myself out of the pool.

She sticks her tongue out at me like a little kid and scrunches her nose in victory. Not going to lie, even with messy dropping wet hair she still looks adorable.

Adorable? What the hell Ryder? This is only a mission. Like all the other missions you've done. Focus.

Before she has time to process it, l wrap my arms around her and pull her into the pool with me.

We find our way to the surface of the water and she coughs out the drops she accidentally inhaled "Fuck you!"

She tries pushing my head under so I swim underneath her and grab her legs before pushing my way back up to the surface, flipping her upside down in the water.

I watch with a smile as she struggles to make her way back up to the surface. Eli, Blair, and Alex are all crying from laughter by now.

She finally manages to find her way up to the surface and once again starts coughing out the water she inhaled.

"Asshole!"

"I've been called worse," l smirk in response.

She starts splashing water in my face and in response l do the same.

"This is literally better than Netflix!" Blair chuckles watching us attempt to drown each other.

I catch a glimpse of them in the middle of splashing water in Laynie's face, by now they're all lying on the grass dying from laughter. Even Alex's dog is here too.

My mind immediately flashes to the last time l saw someone lying on the grass, they were bleeding and begging for me to help them. I just had to watch as my father put a bullet to their skull and ended their suffering. That night when it was all over l went to my room all l wanted to do was breakdown out of pure anger and agony but l knew better than to let my walls down, they were the only thing l have control over and l wasn't about to let that go to waste. That night was when I knew there's truly no way out of this place.

"Hey, are you okay?" Laynie's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

Then l realize I'd stopped splashing when my mind wandered off.

Deciding to play it cool, l once again slip underneath her and flip her over, catching her off guard.

I watch in amusement as she again struggles to find her way back to the surface.

"Fuck you! This isn't fair! I can't flip you over, you're too big!"

I let out a chuckle and shrug "That's just how it is, life isn't fair."

✘ ✘ ✘

After finishing the little water fight Laynie and l had, we both took quick showers and headed for breakfast.

However l noticed laynie never touched her food. I guess she doesn't like breakfast?

Now that it's time for all of us to go back to our normal lives, l grab my phone and stick it in my pocket before saying a small goodbye to everyone and leaving.

I strap on my helmet and start my bike before zooming out of Blair's huge gates.

I speed down the street back to my father's manor thinking about what I'm going to tell him. Nothing was out of the ordinary happened the whole time l was at Blair's, l couldn't get a single useful thing out of the whole night beside the two microchips l slipped under the doors that are probably useless if the rooms aren't anything important.

He's going to kill me.