55 - Safe And Sound.

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down.
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now.
Come morning light, you and l will be safe and sound."

Safe And Sound ~ Taylor Swift.

° ° ° °

"backup won't get here anytime soon if we call them now, and we can't sit still." he jumps up from under the covers and swings the closet doors open quickly throwing a shirt over his head and a pair of jeans

"ryder we can't fight them, we won't make it. There are too many of them out there we're only two." chase explains

"four, get alex and eli, tell them to grab their guns just in case and call for back up. I'll take care of the rest." ryder orders, slipping on a pair of socks and shoes

Chase gives him a look of disbelief

"go!" ryder responds

With that chase takes off running while ryder shuffles through his drawer

"what's going on?!" l ask in clear confusion

He doesn't respond to my question and instead pushes away his night stand with force then presses a red button located behind it.

The moment he presses the button a metal shield slides down in front of the window and from what l can see all the possible entrances into the safe house.

This is not real, it can't be happening. For fucks sake this looks like something out of a goddamn movie!

"ryder for fuck's sake answer me! What's going on?!?" l jump out of bed and walk towards him

"we're going into lockdown." he makes eye contact with me for a brief second before going opening one of his drawers and pulling out his gun.

"What do you mean lockdown?! Why?!" l pull my shoes out from underneath my bed and slide them on without bothering to look for my socks considering l already have a pair on.

"remember when l told you the reason The Interfectores are after you more specifically? We'll they're here." he pulls out a detachable box magazine from his drawer and sticks it in his pocket.

I have so many questions to ask but l can tell that now is not the right time.

I'll just silently lose my shit while god knows how many people try to break into this goddamn house just for me.

If they want me, alex and eli because l have whatever information they want and they're assuming that eli and alex know as well then that means they want to... Kill us.

No no no, focus, now's not the time. Focus.

"come with me."

I follow ryder out of the room to find alex, eli and chase all in the living room with a gun each.

The sight of alex with a gun scares me to death but l can't freak out now.

"you called him?" ryder asks and chase nods in response.

"guys you know what to do if it happens right? we practiced it earlier." ryder asks everyone and they all nod.

"Good. Now laynie, keep this with you," ryder reaches for a drawer in the TV stand and hands me a gun.

"No no no, l-l can't use this you know l can't!" l manage to hold the gun in my trembling hands with a pleading look in my eyes.

"Yes you can. You trained for it twice, you know the basics. You won't have to use it but keep it with you in case anything happens."