9 - Speaking Of.

I arrive at the hospital and hop out of the car and straight to the elevator after locking the car.

"Laynie, where have you been? I've been looking all over for you." Mr Arrington says as I approach.

"I uhh went to get Alex some new clothes since his old ones are ruined now but I found out when I got there that I forgot the spare key inside so I came back here." I awkwardly chuckle.

"Thank you Laynie that was sweet of you but next time let us know or at least unmute your phone." he smiles.

"Uhh yeah I'm uhh I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's alright. Also Alex wants to see you, he's still in the recovery room."

"Oh okay, thanks."

He nods and I walk into the recovery room where Alex is scrolling through his phone.

"Already hittin' on all the girls?" I joke.

He looks up from his phone and smiles
"Oh I was uhh- where have you been?? I was worried about you."

"I went to get you some new clothes but my dumb ass left the key you gave me in my jeans, in your house."

"So you drove all the way there only to realize that and then drove back here?" he asks as I walk over and sit on the chair next to his bed.

"Yep, welcome to being a dumbass."

"Damn, that's cruel."

"Yeah, your ass better be grateful you have a best friend who's willing to do that for you without even getting mad." I jokingly scold him.

"Speaking of ass." he says and hands his phone to me.

I look at the screen to find a selfie of Ryder and one of the school cheerleaders next to him.

"Read the caption." Alex says and I look down at the caption.

'Me and kenzie are off to the movies after her cheer practice🤘 🎥 🍿🎬📴🎭' it reads.

"He can't even use proper grammar." I roll my eyes.

"Can't argue with that." Alex chuckles, turning off his phone and placing it next to him.

"I wanna gag all over their existence" I say.

"Save that for when you hear her call him daddy when you're walking through the halls." he says.

"I literally will not hesitate to throw up on both of them if I hear her say that." I say in all seriousness.

They trigger my gag reflex.

"Tell me about it." he rolls his eyes.

"Anyway, what time is it?" I ask.

He checks his phone and says "Almost 2 am."

Before I could say anything else someone knocks on the door then comes in "hey guys sorry to interrupt but Alex I got you some fresh clothes, get changed so we can get out of here, I'm just finishing up a few papers with your doctor outside of you need me." Mr. Arrington says and places a pair of black jeans and a white sweater on Alex's bed.

"Thanks dad." Alex smiles.

Mr Arrington nods and walks out.

"I'll let you change." I say and as I'm about to get up someone walks in, we both look up to see Carter with two bags in hand.

He greets me before moving on to Alex.

"Alex, how you doing?" Carter.

"Carter, haven't seen you in a while. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing but I'm feeling a lot better thanks." alex chuckles.

"Definitely good. So uhh those right here are your old clothes." Carter says handing Alex a clear bag with his clothes in it.

Alex takes it and places it next to him.

"And these are your meds. this one," he says as he pulls out a blue pack of pills from the white bag he has in his hand.
"Is just a painkiller for you to take when ever the pain gets really bad and these," he drops the blue pack and pulls out a bottle of pills.

"Are antibiotics to make sure that no bacteria is left behind. Last but not least," he once again drops the bottle inside the bag and pulls out a roll of non stick bandage and a tube of Neosporin.

"I'm assuming you already know what Neosporin is." Carter says.

"Yeah, antibiotic ointments right?" Alex asks.

"I sense a future doctor here. They're just to be sure the wound is clean when you replace the bandage." Carter chuckles.

"And this, young man, is what is wrapped around your wound right now, non-stick bandage. Now you should try to keep the one you have on as dry as possible how ever if it does get wet, there are three extra rolls here, each one should only be used once." he hands Alex the bag.

"Now just before I go," he leans in and pulls the oxygen tube from alex's nose and over his ears.

"How's your breathing?" Carter asks.

Alex takes a deep breath then says "Great".

"Awesome! Off you go my dude. Don't come back any time soon." Carter jokes and Alex laughs.

Alex thanks Carter before he leaves the room to go on with his night.

"You should probably change now, I'll be outside if you need me." I say.

He nods and I get up and walk out.

I sit down and pull out my phone to call Hannah, it rings for a few moments before she answers.

"Laynie, how's Alex?" she asks.

"Hey umm he's better now and we're just getting ready to leave."

"That's great, tell him I said get well soon."

"Will do. How's Hunter?"

"He's holding up fine, want me to put him on the phone for you?"

"Yeah that'd be great." I reply.

"Alright, hold on a sec."

"Laynie?"

"Hunter. Hey bud, how are you? How are you doing?" I ask as soon as I hear his voice.

"I'm okay, how's Alex?" he asks.

"He's okay now we're just getting ready to leave."

"Can you tell him I said get well soon?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Laynie, can I tell you something?"

"Sure bud, what is it?" I ask.

"I know you want me to be a normal kid but lying to me won't change how I feel or what I know. I know Alex almost didn't make it tonight and I know you weren't okay when you told me you were. I know a lot of things I'm not supposed to know and there's nothing anyone can do to change that so please can we just go back to the way we used to talk? I don't want you to treat me like a kid anymore, I want the old Laynie, I want you to treat me like you used to treat me."

I silently stand there for a moment, not sure how I should respond to that.

"I'm sorry Hunter... I know you're not a kid, at least mentally, I just thought-"

"You thought treating me like one would make me feel like one, you were trying to give me what you never had, I know, but no more of that, please." he says.

"Alright, no more of that." I reply. "I gotta go bud, I'll talk to you later when we get home. Take care of yourself, okay?"

"Okay, you too." he yawns and I realize how late it probably is.

I'm tired as fuck.

I wait for him to hang up the phone before sticking it back in my pocket.