22 - As Tempting As It Sounds.

"What's wrong?" Alex asks and l step aside as he takes a peek out the window.

"Hold on, I'll call Hannah." l pull my phone out of my pocket and dial her number.

"Hey Laynie." she greets me.

"Hey Hannah... Umm... Did the police call you about anything related to the house?" l question hesitantly.

"Oh yeah, l forgot to tell you, they did their investigations and crap, we're allowed back in now. I'm just finishing up with the rug in mom's room and it'll be as good as new."

"Alright.. You need help with anything?"

"Well Hunter's with me and he doesn't seem to be enjoying it too much, he misses you. Maybe you can come spend some time with him? And don't worry your room is good as new."

"I'll be right there."

We say our goodbyes and l explain to Alex the situation.

"Well then let's go! I miss hanging out with the little guy." Alex smiles, holding the door open for me.

° ° ° °

"Laynie! Alex!" Hunter practically screams the moment we're in the house as he comes running to our arms.

Alex and l pull him into a group hug.

"Hey bud!" Alex high-fives Hunter.

"Hey there little smartass." l ruffle his hair playfully.

"l missed you." he giggles.

"l missed you too buddy, let's go sit down."

"Alex how's your cut?" Hunter asks alex and they walk over to the couch finishing their little conversation.

I walk into mom's room to find Hannah scrubbing Alex's blood off the built in carpet installed in mom's room.

"Hey," l mumble.

"Oh, hey." she glances over at me and continues to scrub the blood out.

Then l remember mom, she would kill me if she found out what happened. Why me? Because it's my fault, it always is.

"Does mom know?"

"No... Not yet at least." she replies hesitantly.

I sigh "Just try not to say anything until she gets back from New York yeah?"

She nods.

"Need any help?" l ask.

"No thanks, I'm just finishing up anyway."

"I'll go make dinner." l say and make my way into the kitchen.

"Need a hand?" Alex asks with hunter in his arms as l start chopping up some vegetables.

"Nah i'm good thank you." l smile, "What's got you guys in such a good mood?"

"Alex is gonna teach me how to skate!" Hunter exclaims.

"Good for you bud!" l chuckle at his excitement as alex sets him down on the counter.

Then the sound of the doorbelll ringing echos through the quiet house.

"I'll get it." l say and wipe my hands with a napkin before leaving the kitchen.

I open the door and freeze when l see ryder standing there.

How the hell did he get here? How does he know where l live?

"Can we talk?" he asks, getting straight to the point.

"l don't know, can we? Are you sure you want to talk to someone like me?" l ask, quoting his own words.

"Look l didn't mean that alright? Just give me a chance to explain." he mumbles, looking down at the ground.

He's a player Laynie. He's messing with your mind, one minute he's an ass and the next he's this broken vulnerable sweet guy. Don't fall for it.

I look around hesitantly, debating whether or not I should talk to him before eventually coming to a decision "You have 5 minutes."

"Listen, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean what l said earlier."

"You mean what you said a few hours ago? Yeah okay, l believe you." I respond sarcastically, stepping out onto the porch and quietly shutting the door.

"Look you're no angel yourself either, so stop acting like I'm the bad guy here." he snaps.

"Oh so you're the innocent one now? Yeah, okay. Don't worry about me forgiving you Ryder because how l feel clearly doesn't matter. Just leave me and my friends alone. ." I turn around and step back inside before locking the door after me.

"Who was it?" Alex asks as I step back into the kitchen.

"No one. Must've been some kid playing Ding-Dong-Ditch." I lie to avoid any more unnecessary conversations.

He nods and goes back to talking to Hunter.

Guilt starts to slowly settle in as I go back to making dinner, i've always hated lying to Alex out of all people. He's my best friend and the last thing l want to do is lie to him but l didn't want him beating up Ryder's ass tomorrow, as tempting as it sounds.

° ° ° °

My eyes flutter open to the sound of something ringing. My phone.

I slowly sit up and check the time before answering the call.

"It's 4am. This better be important or you'll regret ever being born." l mumble gorgily.

"Laynie? It's Eli, sorry for calling so late." he nervously chuckles.

I exchanged phone numbers with him and Blair earlier.

"Eli? It's 4 am, why are you still up?"

"I'm sorry l-l thought you were awake.. You told me you stay up late and l just-"

"Eli, it's okay. Don't worry about it."

He let's out a little nervous giggle in response.

"So you couldn't sleep?" l ask, leaning back against the headboard of my bed.

"Yeah.." he mumbles.

"Wanna hang out?" l blurt out.

Yes i'm tired exhausted, but l don't think i'll be able to go back to sleep with everything on my mind, so why not?

"Like right now?" he asks, a hint of excitement lacing his tone.

"Yeah, you can't sleep and l don't think l can go back to sleep again so why not?"

"Yes, of course!"

"Okay, send me your adress and I'll come pick you up." l smile, pushing my blankets off.

"Okay, see you!" he answers and I could almost hear the smile in his voice.

I park my car out side of his small house and give him a call, in less than 2 minutes he's already in my passenger seat.

"You're the coolest person ever." he grins, fixing his seat belt before we take off.

"I know, but why?" I joke.

"Who else would want to hang out with me at 4 am after l woke them up?" he replies as more of a statement than a question.

I laugh "Oh that's nothing, anyway, where do you wanna go?"

"l don't think there's anywhere to go at 4 am." he states the obvious as l pull out of his drive way and back onto the main road.

"Good point. We're going to spend the night in my backyard then."

He gives me a 'What are you up to' look but agrees anyway.