54 - Outnumbered.

"There is goodness in the heart
Of every broken man
Who comes right up to the edge
Of losing everything he has"

Mars ~ Sleeping At Last.

✘ ✘

𝚁𝚢𝚍𝚎𝚛'𝚜 𝙿𝙾𝚅

✘ ✘ ✘

I open my eyes and it takes me a minute to adjust them to the light shining through the window.

I look down to find laynie sleeping like a baby on my chest with her hands wrapped around my waist leaving me unable to move but l don't budge, she's had a rough night and could use the extra sleep.

I wrap my arms around her and gently stroke her head, brushing her hair away from her face.

Her and l might not have been on great terms for a while but l have to admit, l like her, a lot.

And it's not the kind of 'l want to have sex with her' like, it's the genuine kind of like. I enjoy being around her and the feeling she gives me when she's mocking me or being a little competitive when we play.

Last night when l found her crying l had a feeling it wasn't the wound even after she told me that it is, that wasn't the kind of crying caused by physical pain.

I feel for her though, l don't know who left her but l know it hasn't been easy, especially that she said she'd been feeling this way for seven years now. Seven years, that means she was only ten when it happened. Who would abandon a ten year old? An innocent little girl?

I remember the night l found out my mom is gone. l can't put together enough words to describe the pure agony that l still feel everytime l think of her.

Laynie suddenly shifts a little and mumbles something l couldn't quite catch, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"good morning." l smile and gently brush her hair away from her face

She slowly opens her eyes and it takes her a moment to remember everything, when she does a look of disappointment is left on her face as she closes her eyes again.

"l know, it sucks to be alive. Good news is we don't have any training today, you don't have to get up now."

She nods and wipes away a single tear that slipped with the hem of her sleeve.

"hey, why are you crying?" l ask

"nothing, don't worry."

"laynie come on, talk to me."

"you already know, I'm tired, that's all." she murmurs, eyes still shut tightly.

"thank you." she opens her chocolate brown eyes to meet my grey ones for a brief second before looking away again.

"for what?" l ask

"not leaving." she replies

I gently kiss her head and continue stroking her hair in response.