"This isn't right!" A dark-skinned man, that Charlotte could hardly remember his name, came in screaming at Fredrick after his eyes fell upon the ex-lovers' state.

"He killed Beth-Anne. One of us, Harper. And don't you think for a second he wouldn't kill you if he had the chance," Fredrick stated, pointing at Stefan with a knife before his eyes darted to the brunette girl, "And she...with all the indignation and vampires' hatred became one of us just to betray us, we allowed her to live among us."

He neared the girl, muttering lowly, "We gave you life; an eternity and if we wish to pluck you out...," Fredrick trailed off, dragging the knife across her neck as she gulped in fear, a few tears escaping her eyes, "Then we shall."

"No...," Stefan murmured, panting as he spoke up, "Don't hurt her...whatever vendetta you have, it's against me...I was the one who killed your girlfriend."

Fredrick nodded, suppressing a chuckle, "You know that's very heroic of you," He dragged the knife across Stefan's bare chest as the Salvatore yelled out, biting his tongue for the veins under his eyes had grown out.

Harper shook his head, clutching Fredrick's hand harshly, "This isn't right!"

"You're gonna want to let go of me!" Fredrick sneered out.

Harper stated as if threateningly, "Miss Pearl will be home soon."

"Miss Pearl is no longer in charge," Fredrick scoffed, turning to order the other vampires, "Tie him up! And then stake him down."

✵ ✵

Stefan, Charlotte, and Harper were still trapped in the cellar as the youngest brunette tried to take her mind off the skin peeling off her hands or the fact that she can no longer breathe without feeling like her lungs were on fire. She tried to think of gardens, colorful flowers, and a shining sun.

"Charlotte?" Stefan calling out her name pulled her out of the sunny heavenly dream as she winced.

"Yes, still here and kind of alright," She mumbled, exhaling sharply before she started coughing, "That is if I could define alright anymore."

"Don't worry, we will be fine," He tried to assure her, mostly himself, "Uhh...," Stefan groaned, trying to make out the words right as he turned to Harper, "Thank you. For trying to help us."

"They just needed somebody to blame," Harper muttered quietly, "Someone to punish."

Suddenly, Damon and Elena bust through the doors as the human quickly ran to Stefan and Charlotte, looking for a way she could help either of them down.

"Elena...You shouldn't be here...," Stefan murmured out as Charlotte found it hard to keep her focus, her eyes landing on Damon about to stake a helpless Harper.

"She was supposed to stay in the car⁠-"

"⁠-No, not him, Damon," Charlotte coughed out, cutting him off as he backed away from Harper.

"Whatever. Let's get you two down," He rolled his eyes, heading to the brunette vampires' tied up.

"There's vervain on the ropes," Stefan revealed before Damon motioned to Elena to help them out, she pulled the ropes off Stefan's hands as Damon helped him stand up, she moved on to help Charlotte who was barely able to stand on her own feet.