Shield Maiden.

Today is the day where we fight against Ivar and gain Kattegat back

Today is the day where we fight against Ivar and gain Kattegat back. We are sat around the fire, everyone getting read. I pull at the leather straps of my armor and stand, placing my sword in its sheathe. I look up as Jean walks to me. He reaches and cups my cheeks. "I love you. And you better stay alive." He says to me and I bring my hand up to his. "You as well. If something is to happen, you go. Don't worry about me." I speak and he nods, pressing his lips against mine.

I kiss back softly and rest my forehead against his. "I love you too." I speak softly and step back. Bjorn steps to us and hands me a shield. "Here you go Shield-Maiden." I take it from him and nod. "Thank you." I take a breath and hold it. Bjorn then hands me a bowl with a red paint. I furrow my brows and look at him as he places a whole stripe from ear to lips. I dip my fingers in and run it over my eyes and then a stripe on my chin.

I hand it over to the next person and take a breath, closing my eyes for a moment. Dear gods. Be with us.

-

We start towards it. I look straight ahead as we continue to walk. If this is the end for me and this is my defeat, I wish for Jean to carry on my kingdom. Marry someone who will bare him children. I would hope he would love them and tell stories of me.

I must not think like this any longer. I need to realize if this is my fate, then so be it. We finally approach the walls of Kattegat. Ivar finally steps up to see us. I tilt my head from side to side. Their horns blow and that's when we charge towards them. "Shield Wall!" They yell and we hold up our shields. Bjorn runs and uses a ram to hit the gates repeatedly.

Jean is stood behind the wall with a bow and arrow. "Open!" They yell and we move our shields, their arrows flying and striking several people on the wall. We close it again and I stand my ground as several arrows fly into my shield. I look back to Jean who nods once. "Open!" I yell and we open again. He aims it right to Ivar and shoots it, yet someone's shield gets in the way and you can hear Ivars loud laugh. We close again and a few people go down. We close it more. Bjorn is still trying his best to break open the gates as they pull a tent over them to shield them.

Jean lets out an angry groan and throws the bow and arrow to the ground, sprinting to the ram. He helps Bjorn but that's when Ivar makes a command. "BURN THEM ALL!" Which leads to them dropping hot oil onto the two closest to the gate. They release the fire and I immediately drop my shield down, grabbing the bow and arrow. I take it and aim up, shooting one person beside Ivar. He quickly says something and they bring something out that looks strange. They blow it and it causes the fire to erupt from its snout.

Jean and Bjorn stumble slightly but keep moving the Ram. He does it again and this time Jean falls to the ground to not receive burns. I notice the archers pointed toward him as he crawling to stand. I grip my shield from the ground and almost like the world has slowed down, I run to him and slide to the ground as the archer releases, hitting my shield instead. This last time, Bjorn hits the doors open. I stand up and charge into it. Several others do as well. But we are surrounded. Soon after Ivar yells. "Down!" A gate crashes down, locking us in. I hold my shield tightly and my sword in my other hand, my back to Bjorn. "Archers!" Ivar yells. "Shield wall." Bjorn speaks.

They all put them up as well as I. But as soon as he gives the signal several Vikings as well as men of my own, go down. Another signal. More. I stand my ground. "Push through!" Bjorn yells and we start to run past the enemies. I easily cut through and kill someone as another tries to stop me but its too late when I'm easily knocked off my feet. I try to take breaths from the amount of my breath sucked from my lungs. As everything is happening so quickly I am risen up to my feet and my hair is gripped back, causing me to make a noise. Bjorn has fled over the wall whilst running away.

I can hear the people running but I can also hear Bjorn yelling. "You know who I am! I am Bjorn Ironside, son of Ragnar. I grew up with many of you." His voice is loud but hoarse from the defeat we suffered. "You were my neighbors. My friends. We played together when we were children." Everyone on the wall has started to lower their bows. The grips on my arms and the way they shove me to my knees, my hair still managed in someone's hand. The soreness that is pushed to my scalp. "I am not your enemy! Ivar is your enemy!" Ivar laughs at this and looks from side to side. "He rules over you with tyranny and cruelty! He wants to destroy everything my father built." This makes Ivar stop laughing or have a smile to his face.

"He's lying! Kill him! He's lying!" He yells to the archers. Ivar notices no movement and grabs a bow, shooting it. "You know me." I take this as a sign that he walked away from Ivars expression. He makes his way down the steps with anger in his face and eyes. He looks to me and nods. "Take her to the cells." He walks off and I'm easily pulled up, being practically dragged into a cell, thrown into it. I sit up and stand, walking to the gate. I kick it harshly but all it does is rattle. I let out a loud yell and then look to the small window that lets in dim light. I close my eyes for a moment as they well up with hot tears, feeling it fall down my cheek.